Jan 8, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Here’s a pretty minor deal on a slow Saturday. Initially reported by Oscar Prieto Rojas and confirmed by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Athletics have acquired Guillermo Moscoso from the Rangers for minor league right-hander Ryan Kelly.
Moscoso was designated for assignment by the Rangers earlier this week in order to make room for Adrian Beltre on the 40-man roster. The 27-year-old right-hander spent most of last season with Triple-A Oklahoma City, posting a 5.18 ERA and 107/49 K/BB ratio over 22 starts and one relief appearance. He has a 4.30 ERA over 11 major league relief appearances, including one game with the Rangers last May.
Kelly, 23, was just acquired from the Pirates in a trade for utilityman Corey Wimberly last month. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.74 over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues, but has never pitched above the Single-A level. However, he has posted impressive peripherals since making a move to the bullpen in 2009.
In order to make room for Moscoso on the 40-man roster, the Athletics have designated Philip Humber for assignment. The former 2004 first-round pick was claimed off waivers from the Royals in December after posting a 4.15 ERA and 16/7 K/BB ratio over 21 2/3 innings last season.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 35
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)