Jan 8, 2011, 2:01 PM EST
Here’s a pretty minor deal on a slow Saturday. Initially reported by Oscar Prieto Rojas and confirmed by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Athletics have acquired Guillermo Moscoso from the Rangers for minor league right-hander Ryan Kelly.
Moscoso was designated for assignment by the Rangers earlier this week in order to make room for Adrian Beltre on the 40-man roster. The 27-year-old right-hander spent most of last season with Triple-A Oklahoma City, posting a 5.18 ERA and 107/49 K/BB ratio over 22 starts and one relief appearance. He has a 4.30 ERA over 11 major league relief appearances, including one game with the Rangers last May.
Kelly, 23, was just acquired from the Pirates in a trade for utilityman Corey Wimberly last month. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.74 over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues, but has never pitched above the Single-A level. However, he has posted impressive peripherals since making a move to the bullpen in 2009.
In order to make room for Moscoso on the 40-man roster, the Athletics have designated Philip Humber for assignment. The former 2004 first-round pick was claimed off waivers from the Royals in December after posting a 4.15 ERA and 16/7 K/BB ratio over 21 2/3 innings last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)