Jan 8, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Here’s a pretty minor deal on a slow Saturday. Initially reported by Oscar Prieto Rojas and confirmed by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Athletics have acquired Guillermo Moscoso from the Rangers for minor league right-hander Ryan Kelly.
Moscoso was designated for assignment by the Rangers earlier this week in order to make room for Adrian Beltre on the 40-man roster. The 27-year-old right-hander spent most of last season with Triple-A Oklahoma City, posting a 5.18 ERA and 107/49 K/BB ratio over 22 starts and one relief appearance. He has a 4.30 ERA over 11 major league relief appearances, including one game with the Rangers last May.
Kelly, 23, was just acquired from the Pirates in a trade for utilityman Corey Wimberly last month. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.74 over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues, but has never pitched above the Single-A level. However, he has posted impressive peripherals since making a move to the bullpen in 2009.
In order to make room for Moscoso on the 40-man roster, the Athletics have designated Philip Humber for assignment. The former 2004 first-round pick was claimed off waivers from the Royals in December after posting a 4.15 ERA and 16/7 K/BB ratio over 21 2/3 innings last season.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)