Jan 8, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Here’s a pretty minor deal on a slow Saturday. Initially reported by Oscar Prieto Rojas and confirmed by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Athletics have acquired Guillermo Moscoso from the Rangers for minor league right-hander Ryan Kelly.
Moscoso was designated for assignment by the Rangers earlier this week in order to make room for Adrian Beltre on the 40-man roster. The 27-year-old right-hander spent most of last season with Triple-A Oklahoma City, posting a 5.18 ERA and 107/49 K/BB ratio over 22 starts and one relief appearance. He has a 4.30 ERA over 11 major league relief appearances, including one game with the Rangers last May.
Kelly, 23, was just acquired from the Pirates in a trade for utilityman Corey Wimberly last month. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.74 over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues, but has never pitched above the Single-A level. However, he has posted impressive peripherals since making a move to the bullpen in 2009.
In order to make room for Moscoso on the 40-man roster, the Athletics have designated Philip Humber for assignment. The former 2004 first-round pick was claimed off waivers from the Royals in December after posting a 4.15 ERA and 16/7 K/BB ratio over 21 2/3 innings last season.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)