Jan 8, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt met with executives from the commissioner’s office — but not the commissioner himself — from Monday through Wednesday at MLB headquarters in New York.
The topic du jour? McCourt, who requested the meetings, outlined his plans for retaining control of the Dodgers as he continues to go through divorce proceedings with Jamie McCourt. As we learned last month, a judge threw out a post-nuptial agreement between the two that would have granted Frank full ownership of the team.
Frank filed an objection to the ruling, but as it stands right now, he would have to pay Jamie a significant amount of money in order to keep the team. It’s not exactly clear what options were discussed this week, but Shaikin speculates that that he could get hundreds of millions of dollars by either negotiating a new television deal or selling a minority share of the team, then using that money to settle his divorce.
The thing is, Bud Selig could reject any new television deal or partnership agreement. He could also reject short-term financing available to owners from MLB.
If that wasn’t bad enough, it sounds like he is losing support of other MLB owners.
“I can’t imagine one vote going against Bud on anything having to do with the Dodgers,” said the owner, who declined to be identified because Selig has not authorized him to speak on the issue.
In other words, Bud Selig may not force Frank to put the Dodgers up for sale, but he could make it very difficult for him to have any other choice.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)