Jan 8, 2011, 11:22 AM EDT
According to Teri Thompson and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News, Joe Torre is in talks with baseball commissioner Bud Selig about joining MLB as executive vice president of operations.
Sandy Alderson vacated the post to become the new general manager of the Mets in October. Longtime executive John McHale Jr. is currently serving in an interim capacity.
Torre, 70, stepped down as manager of the Dodgers at the end of last season. For someone who is supposedly retried, he’s a pretty popular guy. Torre was offered a job as special assistant to Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, but is not expected to accept the position. He also turned down an offer to be part of ESPN’s baseball coverage.
Selig is reportedly considering other candidates for the position, but if hired, Torre would be responsible for hiring a replacement for Bob Watson, who resigned as MLB’s rules and discipline czar in December due to health concerns. A source tells the New York Daily News that Torre is not interested in a position that is highly structured and would prefer to remain in Los Angeles.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)