Jan 8, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the White Sox have signed Ohman to a two-year, $4 million contract, pending a physical.
Friday, 7:10 PM: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted earlier this afternoon that reliever Will Ohman had narrowed his choice to three teams. We’re beginning to piece this thing together.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are not one of the three finalists mentioned by Heyman. Meanwhile, a source tells him that the White Sox are considered the favorites to sign him. Ohman is reportedly “close” to making a decision, but a deal is not yet completed.
Ohman, 33, posted a 3.21 ERA and 43/23 K/BB ratio over 42 innings between the Orioles and Marlins last season. Largely used as a LOOGY-type during his career, he held left-handed batters to a meager .229/.323/.313 batting line and 636 OPS over 99 plate appearances in 2010.
This wouldn’t be a significant signing on the surface, but the addition of Ohman, another left-hander, could mean that the White Sox would push Matt Thornton to the closer role, bumping Chris Sale to the starting rotation. Just speculation for now, but it’s at least something to ponder on a slow Friday.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)