Jan 8, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the White Sox have signed Ohman to a two-year, $4 million contract, pending a physical.
Friday, 7:10 PM: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted earlier this afternoon that reliever Will Ohman had narrowed his choice to three teams. We’re beginning to piece this thing together.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are not one of the three finalists mentioned by Heyman. Meanwhile, a source tells him that the White Sox are considered the favorites to sign him. Ohman is reportedly “close” to making a decision, but a deal is not yet completed.
Ohman, 33, posted a 3.21 ERA and 43/23 K/BB ratio over 42 innings between the Orioles and Marlins last season. Largely used as a LOOGY-type during his career, he held left-handed batters to a meager .229/.323/.313 batting line and 636 OPS over 99 plate appearances in 2010.
This wouldn’t be a significant signing on the surface, but the addition of Ohman, another left-hander, could mean that the White Sox would push Matt Thornton to the closer role, bumping Chris Sale to the starting rotation. Just speculation for now, but it’s at least something to ponder on a slow Friday.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)