Jan 8, 2011, 8:52 AM EST
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Yankees have started talks with free agent Andruw Jones, though a deal is not believed to be close. Heyman wrote earlier this week that the Bombers were considering Jones.
The Yankees are pursuing Jones in part because they need a right-handed hitting outfielder, but also because they are concerned about Marcus Thames’ defense. The 33-year-old Thames was a nice surprise last season, batting .288/.350/.491 with 12 home runs, 33 RBI and an 841 OPS, but he can’t touch the versatility or defensive reputation of Jones.
Jones, who will turn 34 in April, batted .230/.341/.486 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI for the White Sox last season, including a .256/.373/.558 batting line in 102 plate appearances against southpaws.
We have become accustomed to players switching teams pretty frequently these days, and Jones has done his fair share of that over the past few seasons, but there would be something weird about seeing him in a Yankees uniform. It feels like it was just yesterday that he hit home runs off Andy Pettitte and Brian Boehringer in Game 1 of the 1996 World Series.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)