Jan 9, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
The tragic shooting spree Saturday at a political rally in Tucson, Arizona has an unfortunate baseball tie.
Christina Taylor Greene, the 9-year-old child who was killed, is the granddaughter of ex-MLB manager Dallas Green and the daughter of current Dodgers scout John Green. This from Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
The elder Green managed the Phillies from 1979-1981, winning a World Series title in 1980. He went on to skipper the Yankees for parts of the 1989 season and then took over for the Mets from 1993-1996.
Christina Taylor was one of six people left dead when 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner opened fire at a political meet-and-greet outside of a grocery store. 13 others were wounded, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who is in critical condition at a local Tucson hospital.
Christina Taylor was born on September 11, 2001 and developed a strong interest in politics at a young age. She was attending the rally with her neighbor to get a closer look at political life and to meet Congresswoman Giffords.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the Green family and all of those affected.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)