Jan 9, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
The tragic shooting spree Saturday at a political rally in Tucson, Arizona has an unfortunate baseball tie.
Christina Taylor Greene, the 9-year-old child who was killed, is the granddaughter of ex-MLB manager Dallas Green and the daughter of current Dodgers scout John Green. This from Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
The elder Green managed the Phillies from 1979-1981, winning a World Series title in 1980. He went on to skipper the Yankees for parts of the 1989 season and then took over for the Mets from 1993-1996.
Christina Taylor was one of six people left dead when 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner opened fire at a political meet-and-greet outside of a grocery store. 13 others were wounded, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who is in critical condition at a local Tucson hospital.
Christina Taylor was born on September 11, 2001 and developed a strong interest in politics at a young age. She was attending the rally with her neighbor to get a closer look at political life and to meet Congresswoman Giffords.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the Green family and all of those affected.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)