Jan 9, 2011, 10:03 AM EST
The tragic shooting spree Saturday at a political rally in Tucson, Arizona has an unfortunate baseball tie.
Christina Taylor Greene, the 9-year-old child who was killed, is the granddaughter of ex-MLB manager Dallas Green and the daughter of current Dodgers scout John Green. This from Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
The elder Green managed the Phillies from 1979-1981, winning a World Series title in 1980. He went on to skipper the Yankees for parts of the 1989 season and then took over for the Mets from 1993-1996.
Christina Taylor was one of six people left dead when 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner opened fire at a political meet-and-greet outside of a grocery store. 13 others were wounded, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who is in critical condition at a local Tucson hospital.
Christina Taylor was born on September 11, 2001 and developed a strong interest in politics at a young age. She was attending the rally with her neighbor to get a closer look at political life and to meet Congresswoman Giffords.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the Green family and all of those affected.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 5
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 4
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)