Jan 9, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
For Scott Schoeneweis, things haven’t been very easy these past couple of years.
The 37-year-old lefty lost his wife to a drug overdose in May of 2009 and has pitched to a 7.41 ERA and 1.89 WHIP over the last two years with Arizona and Boston. The Red Sox gave him a look in 2010 when he was dumped by the Diamondbacks, but they designated him for assignment after just 15 appearances because he was ineffective and hurting their bullpen.
Schoeneweis, owner of a .229/.304/.309 career line against left-handed batters, hasn’t pitched in a big league game since the Red Sox cut ties with him on May 19, 2010.
But he’s hoping to change that.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Schoeneweis is on the hunt for a minor league contract and an invitation to spring training. He wants to win a lefty specialist gig in a team’s bullpen and thinks he is well enough physically to turn his career around in 2011.
“I don’t know too many people who could have done what I’ve done considering the circumstances,” Schoeneweis told Cafardo. “Seems as if I’m being penalized instead of applauded. It’s not sour grapes. My place is more important to be here raising the kids, but for me personally, I wasn’t quite done. My skills haven’t diminished.”
The veteran southpaw will probably get a shot somewhere. Whether he actually has something left is another story.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)