Jan 9, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
For Scott Schoeneweis, things haven’t been very easy these past couple of years.
The 37-year-old lefty lost his wife to a drug overdose in May of 2009 and has pitched to a 7.41 ERA and 1.89 WHIP over the last two years with Arizona and Boston. The Red Sox gave him a look in 2010 when he was dumped by the Diamondbacks, but they designated him for assignment after just 15 appearances because he was ineffective and hurting their bullpen.
Schoeneweis, owner of a .229/.304/.309 career line against left-handed batters, hasn’t pitched in a big league game since the Red Sox cut ties with him on May 19, 2010.
But he’s hoping to change that.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Schoeneweis is on the hunt for a minor league contract and an invitation to spring training. He wants to win a lefty specialist gig in a team’s bullpen and thinks he is well enough physically to turn his career around in 2011.
“I don’t know too many people who could have done what I’ve done considering the circumstances,” Schoeneweis told Cafardo. “Seems as if I’m being penalized instead of applauded. It’s not sour grapes. My place is more important to be here raising the kids, but for me personally, I wasn’t quite done. My skills haven’t diminished.”
The veteran southpaw will probably get a shot somewhere. Whether he actually has something left is another story.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)