Jan 9, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The Rays and Cubs agreed to an eight-player trade involving right-hander Matt Garza on Friday afternoon and then completed that trade on Saturday after routine physicals were taken and the correct paperwork was filed.
The Cubs received Garza, outfielder Fernando Perez and left-handed pitching prospect Zach Rossup from Tampa Bay.
The Rays got top pitching prospect Chris Archer, shortstop prospect Hak-Ju Lee, outfield prospect Brandon Guyer, catching prospect Robinson Chirinos and outfielder Sam Fuld from Chicago.
Now, a look at several post-trade reactions from around the baseball media landscape…
* Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times: “Landing Garza is a significant response to upstart Cincinnati’s pitching-driven division title last season and division-rival Milwaukee’s recent trades for Shaun Marcum and Cy Young winner Zack Greinke. It gives the Cubs a Ryan Dempster-Garza-Carlos Zambrano top three to their starting rotation and makes the back end look stronger.”
* Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times: “As highly regarded as [the Rays' minor league] system is — ranked third by Baseball America before the trade, second now — the trade provides some needed balance as they were much deeper in pitching prospects than position players.”
* Dave Cameron of FanGraphs: “In name value, it’s a big step backwards, and will likely be viewed as just a cost-saving move by the general public. In reality, though, there’s a good chance that the Rays will be better next year by trading Garza away.”
* Al Yellon of Bleed Cubbie Blue: “Matt Garza, Carlos Zambrano and Ryan Dempster make a very solid top three starters for the 2011 Cubs. Get good years out of #4 and #5 and improved bullpen performance, and the team has a shot at real improvement in 2011.”
* Tommy Rancel of ESPN 1040 Tampa: “This is one of the more complex trades made in the Friedman Era. On the surface, it looks like the team is giving up some ground in 2011, but Hellickson’s transition should ease that pain; especially if it comes with a big-time DH.”
* Keith Law of ESPN.com: “I love this trade for Tampa Bay. They got more for Garza than Kansas City did for Zack Greinke although their package of players is, collectively, further away than what the Royals got. It looks to me like the Rays focused less on position and more on overall value.”
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)