Jan 10, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Anthony Castrovince on the Albert Pujols situation:
But if Pujols’ long-term status remains uncertain going into and through the season, then the drama surrounding the situation could easily eclipse the circus involving Jeter and the Yanks earlier this winter. Because with Pujols, we’re talking about the game’s premier player. In his prime. And while the Yankees and Red Sox, by virtue of already possessing Mark Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez, respectively, probably wouldn’t be bidders, every other team in the game with money to spend would be circling over Pujols, ready to pounce.
I think the Cardinals should lock up Pujols and everything, but really, is it as dire as many say? With the Yankees and Red Sox out of it, every other team may be “ready to pounce,” but it also means that the two teams most likely to overpay Pujols are out of it too. Put differently, the Cardinals don’t have to worry too much about being outbid by anyone if, for some reason, Pujols makes it to free agency after the 2011 season, nor do they have to worry about there being some more notable historically prominent team competing for his services.
I wouldn’t want to wait around if I were the Cardinals — what if Adrian Gonzalez breaks his arm tomorrow and doesn’t re-up with the Red Sox as expected? — but it doesn’t seem like they’d face some dire situation if Pujols does hit the market and other teams start sniffing around. They’d still be the biggest dog and most friendly landing pad for Pujols. They don’t stand to be bidding against anyone with a significantly bigger budget. They could still get it done just fine.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)