Jan 10, 2011, 7:55 PM EDT
The White Sox just officially announced a two-year, $4 million contract with left-handed reliever Will Ohman.
When the agreement was initially reported on Saturday, many immediately speculated (including myself) that his addition to the bullpen would push Matt Thornton to the closer role and Chris Sale to the rotation if Jake Peavy isn’t ready for the start of the season after shoulder surgery.
Well, White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper reiterated to Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago over the weekend that he isn’t into that idea.
“I’m not favor of that,” Cooper said, when asked if Sale would be used as a starter until an injured Jake Peavy returned. “It’s unfair and too much to ask of a young guy until he has a chance to get himself situated.”
“If he starts, he starts and starts all year. To start for a month, I don’t like the sound or the feel of that. But I’m speaking for myself only. I haven’t talked to [manager] Ozzie [Guillen] or [general manager] Kenny [Williams] on any of this.”
Sale, who was selected 13th overall last June, made his major league debut last August and posted a 1.93 ERA and 32/10 K/BB ratio over 23 1/3 innings down the stretch. Though the White Sox used him exclusively in relief, the 21-year-old southpaw was drafted as a starting pitcher out of Florida Gulf Cost University. However, with Edwin Jackson, Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd, John Danks and a healthy Peavy, it’s unlikely Sale will be a full-time starter for the club, at least in 2011.
While Cooper is still optimistic that Peavy will be ready for the start of the season, he named Tony Pena, Charlie Leesman and Lucas Harrell as some potential short-term alternatives for the final spot in the rotation.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)