Former No. 1 overall pick Kris Benson retires

Jan 10, 2011, 11:38 PM EDT

Kris Benson throwing

From the hardly shocking news department: Kris Benson told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he has decided to retire.

“I’m done,” the 36-year-old said by phone from his home outside Atlanta. “I decided pretty much after this past season that I wasn’t going to pursue anything. I’ve been putting way too much into it and not getting enough out of it, as far as the rehab, working out, training, and then not getting the type of results I expect from myself.”

Benson attempted yet another comeback last season as a member of the Diamondbacks, posting a 5.14 ERA over three starts, but didn’t make another appearance in the big leagues after the final week of April due to shoulder problems. The former 1996 No. 1 overall pick has tossed just 36 1/3 innings at the major league level since 2006.

Benson wraps up his career with a 70-75 record to go along with a 4.42 ERA over parts of nine major league seasons between the Pirates, Mets, Orioles, Rangers and Diamondbacks.

1. phukyouk - Jan 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM

“Kris has decided to pursue a career in film. his first film will be called “having sex with my HOT HOT HOT wife in the parking lot Shea Stadium while Fans are walking by”. “

• pipkin42 - Jan 10, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Are we still talking about Anna Benson? She’s really not that hot, anyway.

2. phukyouk - Jan 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM

she was at the time

3. Panda Claus - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Anna Benson’s best days are behind her.

This off-season has been a banner period for posting either current or former players shown wearing Orioles uniforms on this site. As times I feel singled-out as if for personal mocking purposes. Thankfully we haven’t had any Alfredo Simon posts yet today, who’s fast becoming Sidney Ponson-esque in terms of embarrassment factor.

There are days this almost feels like a Baltimore site, not withstanding all the Phillies, Yankees and Red Sox posts. And of course the Braves, Craig wouldn’t let us forget them.

For the sake of Orioles flavor, I’m surprised you missed out on yesterday’s 20-year anniversary of the Glenn Davis trade to Baltimore (for Steve Finley, Curt Schilling and Pete Harnisch). http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/01/20-years-ago-today.html

• proudlycanadian - Jan 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM

“behind”? I am not sure that her behind was Benson’s best asset.

4. uyf1950 - Jan 11, 2011 at 8:50 AM

He should count his blessings. Having made nearly $39M over his less than impressive career. A losing career record and an ERA of nearly 4.50 not to mention is other stats.

5. BC - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

This just in: Tom Seaver plans to remain retired.

6. Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Well, Benson was a move that really panned out here in Philly.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3440)