Pablo Sandoval is in the best shape of his life?

Jan 10, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT

Giants' Sandoval reacts during workouts in preparation for the Major League Baseball's World Series in San Francisco

Maybe not. But Hank Schulman says that the Panda is on his way there:

Yes, yes, yes. You’ve heard this before. You’re skeptical, and you should be, until you see what he looks like in spring training.

Nevertheless, I’ve heard from a number of folks that Pablo Sandoval‘s conditioning work at a private facility in Arizona is paying dividends … [Rich] Aurilia lives in Phoenix and told me today he saw Pablo at a shopping mall just before Christmas. Sandoval told him he had lost 17 pounds.

So it’s second hand. And given that it was a self-estimate, it was probably overstated (has anyone who has ever had a hint of a weight problem ever done anything different?)  And even it was 17 pounds, given where Sandoval was, ten pounds of it was probably just water weight bloat.

Forgive me if I’m not being terribly charitable to Sandoval here. But given how much weight he put on last year and how unsuccessful his weight-loss program was last offseason, I’m skeptical.

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

He lost 17 lbs alright. But he’ll surely find it before spring training.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

How many pounds did he gain eating that sundae?

2. paperlions - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Sandoval has been a lot of shapes, but “in” hasn’t been one of them.

3. kmgannon - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM

The secret to success is low expectations.

I say this as a big fan of the Panda, but “best shape of his life”–that bar’s not exactly set very high.

4. spudchukar - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Until I’m convinced he is on a some bamboo-eating regiment I too remain skeptical. I don’t think his definition of “diet” is synonymous with mine.

5. bloodysock - Jan 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

“Pablo Sandoval‘s conditioning work at a private facility in Arizona is paying dividends”.

Which Baskin-Robbins does he patron?

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Best. Photo. Today.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM

How many cake-pies did he eat?

7. snprime - Jan 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Guys, guys…. You’re being too hard on the kid. I can tell you that I have personal knowledge that the Panda is in shape. Round is a shape. So is egg-like. Ergo, Sandoval is in shape.

8. Panda Claus - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:42 AM

This guy is close to giving all of us pandas a bad name. Not that any of the rest of us have a good name.

Floyd Rayford was one of the last guys of Sandoval’s body shape that had the ability to put up good numbers in short spurts. Overall, Sandoval’s physique doesn’t lend itself to a long career for that Panda.

9. BC - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Anything that big should have moons orbiting it.
    (Yeah, I know I’ve used that one before, but it really applies here)

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

What about chipwiches?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3692)