Jan 10, 2011, 6:15 PM EST
Lewis was non-tendered by the Blue Jays in December after batting .262/.332/.442 with eight home runs, 36 RBI, 17 stolen bases and a 745 OPS over 480 plate appearances last season. The 30-year-old outfielder has a .272/.348/.418 batting line over parts of five seasons in the big leagues.
Lewis drew a considerable amount of interest this winter as a potential fourth outfielder, but it will be interesting to see how he is utilized by Dusty Baker. Lewis has a 796 OPS against right-handed pitching during his career, so there’s a chance he could find himself in a left field platoon with Jonny Gomes, who traditionally enjoys more success against left-handed pitching.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (235)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)