Jan 10, 2011, 10:59 AM EST
On Friday the San Jose Redevelopment Agency moved to sell five city-owned parcels of land, the proceeds for which would be used to buy land needed to build a downtown ballpark for the A’s. The move would raise $25 million or so. The Agency has already spent about $25 million on getting the land together on which Lew Wolff wants to build a ballpark.
Only problem: new California Governor Jerry Brown — whose aura smiles and never frowns — may propose today that all municipal redevelopment agencies will be abolished in an effort to fix California’s massive budget problems. This wouldn’t take land away from the city, of course, but it would take away the entities that handle such sales, so that would likely complicate everything. If that happened, normal government employees instead of real estate redevelopment experts would have to do all of this, and they can barely dress themselves in the morning. Or at least that’s what I hear on the talk radio.
In other news, it’s been nearly two years since Bud Selig appointed a commission to study the matter of the A’s moving to San Jose. I expect that he’ll soon announce a second commission, the purpose of which is to go out and search for the first commission.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)