Jan 10, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
On Friday the San Jose Redevelopment Agency moved to sell five city-owned parcels of land, the proceeds for which would be used to buy land needed to build a downtown ballpark for the A’s. The move would raise $25 million or so. The Agency has already spent about $25 million on getting the land together on which Lew Wolff wants to build a ballpark.
Only problem: new California Governor Jerry Brown — whose aura smiles and never frowns — may propose today that all municipal redevelopment agencies will be abolished in an effort to fix California’s massive budget problems. This wouldn’t take land away from the city, of course, but it would take away the entities that handle such sales, so that would likely complicate everything. If that happened, normal government employees instead of real estate redevelopment experts would have to do all of this, and they can barely dress themselves in the morning. Or at least that’s what I hear on the talk radio.
In other news, it’s been nearly two years since Bud Selig appointed a commission to study the matter of the A’s moving to San Jose. I expect that he’ll soon announce a second commission, the purpose of which is to go out and search for the first commission.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)