Jan 10, 2011, 11:56 PM EDT
Have trouble understanding Sabermetrics? Do advanced metrics make your ears bleed?
Bradley Woodrum is here to help. Woodrum, who writes about the Tampa Bay Rays at DRaysBay.com, has created a rather entertaining video explaining the statistic of Fielding Independent Pitching.
It’s 1:43 of good wholesome fun and a straightforward explanation of why the stat is a more effective measuring tool of pitchers than ERA.
The video includes a rather crude-but-accurate caricature of the much-maligned Yuniesky Betancourt (pictured), an introduction to the “Luck Dragon,” and an invitation to “punch in the face” anyone who fails to understand the concept of FIP.
Woodrum is taking suggestions for what to tackle with his next video, so hit him up over at DRaysBay.com.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)