Jan 10, 2011, 11:56 PM EDT
Have trouble understanding Sabermetrics? Do advanced metrics make your ears bleed?
Bradley Woodrum is here to help. Woodrum, who writes about the Tampa Bay Rays at DRaysBay.com, has created a rather entertaining video explaining the statistic of Fielding Independent Pitching.
It’s 1:43 of good wholesome fun and a straightforward explanation of why the stat is a more effective measuring tool of pitchers than ERA.
The video includes a rather crude-but-accurate caricature of the much-maligned Yuniesky Betancourt (pictured), an introduction to the “Luck Dragon,” and an invitation to “punch in the face” anyone who fails to understand the concept of FIP.
Woodrum is taking suggestions for what to tackle with his next video, so hit him up over at DRaysBay.com.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)