Jan 10, 2011, 11:56 PM EDT
Have trouble understanding Sabermetrics? Do advanced metrics make your ears bleed?
Bradley Woodrum is here to help. Woodrum, who writes about the Tampa Bay Rays at DRaysBay.com, has created a rather entertaining video explaining the statistic of Fielding Independent Pitching.
It’s 1:43 of good wholesome fun and a straightforward explanation of why the stat is a more effective measuring tool of pitchers than ERA.
The video includes a rather crude-but-accurate caricature of the much-maligned Yuniesky Betancourt (pictured), an introduction to the “Luck Dragon,” and an invitation to “punch in the face” anyone who fails to understand the concept of FIP.
Woodrum is taking suggestions for what to tackle with his next video, so hit him up over at DRaysBay.com.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)