Jan 10, 2011, 11:56 PM EDT
Have trouble understanding Sabermetrics? Do advanced metrics make your ears bleed?
Bradley Woodrum is here to help. Woodrum, who writes about the Tampa Bay Rays at DRaysBay.com, has created a rather entertaining video explaining the statistic of Fielding Independent Pitching.
It’s 1:43 of good wholesome fun and a straightforward explanation of why the stat is a more effective measuring tool of pitchers than ERA.
The video includes a rather crude-but-accurate caricature of the much-maligned Yuniesky Betancourt (pictured), an introduction to the “Luck Dragon,” and an invitation to “punch in the face” anyone who fails to understand the concept of FIP.
Woodrum is taking suggestions for what to tackle with his next video, so hit him up over at DRaysBay.com.
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 8
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 47
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm