The Rangers are interested in Jim Thome

Jan 10, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT

Jim Thome AP

Buster Olney reports that the Rangers are “actively trying to lure” Jim Thome to Texas.  I think all teams who negotiate with players are “actively trying to lure” them, but thank you to Buster for livening up the vocabulary on this Monday afternoon.

Thome would be an interesting fit in Texas. Like all big power hitters, you figure he’d love to mash taters in the Ballpark at Arlington.  With Michael Young hitting against lefties and Thome against righties, the Rangers would likely get more production from the DH slot than anyone next season (Young will get plate appearances from other positions too).  It’d be a great signing if the Rangers can “lure” him.

The only question is price. Thome says he wants to make up for what he didn’t make last season, when he was a bargain at $2 million.  Given that the Rangers paid Vlad Guerrero $5.5 million this past year, it’s not like they have some unlimited DH budget.  Of course, they’re gonna sell a lot more tickets in 2011. And Thome could be a difference maker for them.

1. bigharold - Jan 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

With Young, at 16 Mil a year, adding Thome even at 5 mil doesn’t make a lot of sense.

• angrycorgi - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I can remove a portion of your comment and make it perfect (and show the underlying issue):

“Young, at 16 Mil a year…doesn’t make a lot of sense.”

2. spudchukar - Jan 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

They already have Mitch Moreland, Julio Borbon, Chris Davis, David Murphy and Michael Young. 5 guys for 3 positions. Hard to figure out the Thome acquisition unless they are planning to package some of those guys for some much needed starting pitching.

• quintjs - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM

you have to factor that Thome is a better hitter than all 5 of those guys.

Texas probably won’t get that starting pitching, so might as well have lots of offense to make up for it.

• spudchukar - Jan 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I wouldn’t trade David Murphy for Jim Thome straight up.

• Lukehart80 - Jan 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

No one is suggesting that the Rangers trade Murphy to get Thome. Murphy has an OPS of almost .800 over the last three seasons, so you’d hate to see Texas lose him. The Rangers would simply be signing Thome.

• spudchukar - Jan 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Luke you miss my point. If you already have David Murphy and he will be struggling to get playing time, why sign Thome? I wasn’t implying a trade was advisable primarily because Thome is a free agent and a trade wouldn’t be applicable but simply that I would prefer Murphy over Thome and there is no place for both of them in the Ranger lineup.

3. Lukehart80 - Jan 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Spud, I see your point, I just don’t see Murphy as being good enough to worry too much about his playing time. Maybe he’s a late bloomer, but he hasn’t been worth a spot in the line-up as I see it. I could see Thome being worth an extra win or two, which may or may not be worth his cost (some people think he wants $8M, I think he’ll accept less).

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet