Jan 10, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
Buster Olney reports that the Rangers are “actively trying to lure” Jim Thome to Texas. I think all teams who negotiate with players are “actively trying to lure” them, but thank you to Buster for livening up the vocabulary on this Monday afternoon.
Thome would be an interesting fit in Texas. Like all big power hitters, you figure he’d love to mash taters in the Ballpark at Arlington. With Michael Young hitting against lefties and Thome against righties, the Rangers would likely get more production from the DH slot than anyone next season (Young will get plate appearances from other positions too). It’d be a great signing if the Rangers can “lure” him.
The only question is price. Thome says he wants to make up for what he didn’t make last season, when he was a bargain at $2 million. Given that the Rangers paid Vlad Guerrero $5.5 million this past year, it’s not like they have some unlimited DH budget. Of course, they’re gonna sell a lot more tickets in 2011. And Thome could be a difference maker for them.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)