Jan 10, 2011, 3:40 PM EST
Buster Olney reports that the Rangers are “actively trying to lure” Jim Thome to Texas. I think all teams who negotiate with players are “actively trying to lure” them, but thank you to Buster for livening up the vocabulary on this Monday afternoon.
Thome would be an interesting fit in Texas. Like all big power hitters, you figure he’d love to mash taters in the Ballpark at Arlington. With Michael Young hitting against lefties and Thome against righties, the Rangers would likely get more production from the DH slot than anyone next season (Young will get plate appearances from other positions too). It’d be a great signing if the Rangers can “lure” him.
The only question is price. Thome says he wants to make up for what he didn’t make last season, when he was a bargain at $2 million. Given that the Rangers paid Vlad Guerrero $5.5 million this past year, it’s not like they have some unlimited DH budget. Of course, they’re gonna sell a lot more tickets in 2011. And Thome could be a difference maker for them.
- Hunter Pence hit in hand by pitch, headed for X-rays 0
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 6
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 135
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 43
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (135)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)