Jan 10, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Personally I’d like to never think about shootings again. But as long as the information is out there I suppose we need to pass it along:
The agent for Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon said there are several witnesses in the Dominican Republic who are willing to come forward and testify that the pitcher could not have fired the fatal bullet that killed Simon’s 25-year-old cousin in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day.
Phil Isaac, one of Simon’s two American agents, spent the weekend in the Dominican talking to attorneys and others involved with the case and said he believes Simon was “quite a distance” away from the spot where his cousin, Michael Esteban Castillo Almonte, was killed.
“There are a few witnesses that will come forward that we have spoken to and that the attorneys have spoken to that will testify – if it comes to that – that under no circumstances whatsoever could Alfredo have fired the fatal shot,” said Isaac, who along with his brother, Alex, represents Simon.
As I always like to mention: it’s nearly impossible to know what’s going on from way up here. We’re just not that familiar with the legal system in the Dominican Republic. And given what we’ve seen, there are way too many people who are prepared to talk about this case in terms that are fundamentally different than those who talked about it five minutes ago.
But, like I said, we’ll continue to pass along new developments as they’re reported.
(thanks to reader Random Digits for the heads up)
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)