Jan 11, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
Alberto Callaspo is eligible for arbitration this season for the first time, but he’s avoided the process by agreeing to a one-year contract with the Angels.
Callaspo, who earned $460,000 last season, gets a hefty raise to $2 million despite hitting just .265/.302/.374 in 146 games last year.
Acquired from the Royals in July for Sean O’Sullivan and Will Smith, Callaspo is expected to compete for the Angels’ starting job at third base with Maicer Izturis and is likely bound for utility man status.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)