Jan 11, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is done. As Morosi reported, $3 million. The incentives are richer than usual, however, amounting to another $3 million.
5:55 AM: Following up on last night’s reports from Brad Penny himself, Jon Paul Morosi says this morning that the Tigers and Brad Penny are on the verge of a one-year, $3 million deal. Morosi says there will be incentives too. Worth noting that Morosi first connected Penny and the Tigers back in mid-December.
Seems like a good deal for Penny who, before an injury last season, had nine good starts. Remember: he started things off going was 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA last year. He says he’s getting in shape now, though, and if that makes a difference, he could be one of the better putative fifth starters around.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- The Lester trade is a win-win 91
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (147)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)