Jan 11, 2011, 9:27 AM EST
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is done. As Morosi reported, $3 million. The incentives are richer than usual, however, amounting to another $3 million.
5:55 AM: Following up on last night’s reports from Brad Penny himself, Jon Paul Morosi says this morning that the Tigers and Brad Penny are on the verge of a one-year, $3 million deal. Morosi says there will be incentives too. Worth noting that Morosi first connected Penny and the Tigers back in mid-December.
Seems like a good deal for Penny who, before an injury last season, had nine good starts. Remember: he started things off going was 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA last year. He says he’s getting in shape now, though, and if that makes a difference, he could be one of the better putative fifth starters around.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 19
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 92
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)