Jan 11, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is done. As Morosi reported, $3 million. The incentives are richer than usual, however, amounting to another $3 million.
5:55 AM: Following up on last night’s reports from Brad Penny himself, Jon Paul Morosi says this morning that the Tigers and Brad Penny are on the verge of a one-year, $3 million deal. Morosi says there will be incentives too. Worth noting that Morosi first connected Penny and the Tigers back in mid-December.
Seems like a good deal for Penny who, before an injury last season, had nine good starts. Remember: he started things off going was 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA last year. He says he’s getting in shape now, though, and if that makes a difference, he could be one of the better putative fifth starters around.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)