Jan 11, 2011, 9:27 AM EST
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is done. As Morosi reported, $3 million. The incentives are richer than usual, however, amounting to another $3 million.
5:55 AM: Following up on last night’s reports from Brad Penny himself, Jon Paul Morosi says this morning that the Tigers and Brad Penny are on the verge of a one-year, $3 million deal. Morosi says there will be incentives too. Worth noting that Morosi first connected Penny and the Tigers back in mid-December.
Seems like a good deal for Penny who, before an injury last season, had nine good starts. Remember: he started things off going was 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA last year. He says he’s getting in shape now, though, and if that makes a difference, he could be one of the better putative fifth starters around.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)