Jan 11, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT
Friend of HardballTalk Jonah Keri has a book coming out about the Tampa Bay Rays soon. It’s called “The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First.” I’ve seen parts of it and what I’ve seen is excellent.
Though it won’t be available to the general public for a little while — you can pre-order here — you too can see parts of it now, as Jonah has a free preview up, including Mark Cuban’s foreword and the prologue. I haven’t read the foreward yet. I kind of hope Cuban goes nuts on Jonah like he’s a ref or something and then offers a passive-aggressive endorsement of the book like he does to the NBA on his blog. That would be cool.
I don’t give a ton of plugs out around here, but this is a worthy one. Jonah is an excellent writer and I think it’s a book that’s really going to advance our understanding of how baseball teams — particularly low-revenue baseball teams — go about their business. So please, check it out.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)