Jan 11, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
Colorado has at least five and possibly six bullpen spots locked in already, but the Rockies added some more relief depth yesterday by signing right-hander Sean White to a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.
White struggled last season, but has a 4.16 ERA in 134 career innings spent with the Mariners and has succeeded despite a terrible 59/51 K/BB ratio because he’s a sinker-ball pitcher who’s allowed just nine homers in 500 at-bats.
Continuing to keep the ball on the ground would make White a good fit for Coors Field, but he’s nowhere near an extreme enough ground-ball pitcher to thrive long term without significantly improving his strikeout rate or control.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)