Jan 11, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
Colorado has at least five and possibly six bullpen spots locked in already, but the Rockies added some more relief depth yesterday by signing right-hander Sean White to a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.
White struggled last season, but has a 4.16 ERA in 134 career innings spent with the Mariners and has succeeded despite a terrible 59/51 K/BB ratio because he’s a sinker-ball pitcher who’s allowed just nine homers in 500 at-bats.
Continuing to keep the ball on the ground would make White a good fit for Coors Field, but he’s nowhere near an extreme enough ground-ball pitcher to thrive long term without significantly improving his strikeout rate or control.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (117)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)