Ruben Amaro doesn’t sound like he’s in a hurry to deal Joe Blanton

Jan 11, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT

Joe Blanton

The Phillies are still actively shopping Joe Blanton, but general manager Ruben Amaro told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he has no sense of urgency to make a deal for salary relief.

“I really don’t have to do anything,” he said. “We’ll see whether it makes some sense to increase some flexibility for us for later on, but at some point, as I’ve said, we’ve just got to see what we’ve got in Spring Training and move on from there.”

Blanton is owed $8.5 million in both 2011 and 2012, so dealing him would provide the Phillies with some much needed payroll flexibility, not only at the trade deadline this year, but for next offseason, as well.

Amaro rarely reveals anything in his comments to the media, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he’s simply holding out until Carl Pavano finally signs a contract. Assuming the Phillies would be willing to eat some of his salary, Blanton could make some sense for pitching-starved teams like the Nationals, Pirates and Royals, all of whom have reportedly expressed varying degrees of interest in Pavano this winter.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM

That’s because he wants the rotation’s nickname to be “Fat Joe and the Terror Squad”!!!

2. Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM

He is in the best shape of his life—and wants to get it more betterer. Jonny just grinned and he doesn’t know why.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

“Blanton could make some sense for pitching-starved teams like the Nationals, Pirates and Royals, all of whom have reportedly expressed varying degrees of interest in Pavano this winter.”

And Big Joe just cringed and he doesn’t know why.

• hep3 - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Probably Joe, the Jedi Master, felt a disturbance in the force.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Wouldn’t you be disturbed if you were linked to those teams?

3. Jonny 5 - Jan 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I love me some Moose. keep him!

Also, aren’t the Yankees looking for a SP? Or is he just not good enough for the high Falootin’ yankees?

I’m starting to think the Phillies don’t really need payroll flexibility. I’m also thinking they won’t be eating very much salary if they do trade him. The market is pretty thin for starters.

I’m thinking I’d rather see Kendrick go. Can’t understand why that is… UT, why is that?

Too much thinking maybe???

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:14 PM

You’re probably thinking that because either A.) KK sucks, 2.) you have a brain, or D.) both.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM

I know, I’m such stingy fan aren’t I??

4. Brian - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM

on a similar note, the only thing Joe’s in a hurry to get to is the buffet.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Mmmm…watery food that’s been sitting under a heat lamp for hours on end with people constantly walking by and breathing/coughing/sneezing on it…lahlllll…D’OH!!!!!!!!!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5458)