Jan 11, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
Contrary to a weekend report that had the Mets considering releasing Luis Castillo, a club source Monday said the club has every intention of bringing him to spring training to compete for the second base job in 2011.
Not sure why you’d release Castillo now anyway. It’s not like any of the possible replacements — Daniel Murphy, Brad Emaus or Justin Turner — are stone cold locks. Each has something to recommend him and, yes, Castillo is overpaid for what he does, but it’s entirely possible that he’d outperform those dudes. Unless someone actually wanted Castillo, which seems unlikely, I don’t see why you wouldn’t at least bring him to camp.
As for Perez, the article suggests that he wouldn’t be released unless and until he fell on his face at Port St. Lucie. Which will probably happen, of course, because he’s got nothin’.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)