Jan 11, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
Contrary to a weekend report that had the Mets considering releasing Luis Castillo, a club source Monday said the club has every intention of bringing him to spring training to compete for the second base job in 2011.
Not sure why you’d release Castillo now anyway. It’s not like any of the possible replacements — Daniel Murphy, Brad Emaus or Justin Turner — are stone cold locks. Each has something to recommend him and, yes, Castillo is overpaid for what he does, but it’s entirely possible that he’d outperform those dudes. Unless someone actually wanted Castillo, which seems unlikely, I don’t see why you wouldn’t at least bring him to camp.
As for Perez, the article suggests that he wouldn’t be released unless and until he fell on his face at Port St. Lucie. Which will probably happen, of course, because he’s got nothin’.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)