Jan 11, 2011, 9:34 AM EDT
Dick Kaegel of MLB.com reports that the Royals haven’t ruled out re-signing Bruce Chen:
With Carl Pavano apparently heading back to the Twins, the thin free-agent market still includes Kevin Millwood, linked earlier with the Royals, and their top winner from last year, lefty Bruce Chen. Millwood’s name doesn’t stir much response from Moore.
What about Chen?
“We’re still open-minded with that. He performed very well with us last year and he showed us what he had, and we’ve got a comfort level there,” Moore said.
Chen’s walk rate and strikeout rates were basically the same in 2010 as they were during his truly awful previous few seasons. He allowed a couple fewer hits a game, which could be a function of random chance. Still, for the Royals he’s the devil they know versus a lot of devils they don’t know, and given how bad their pitching looks to be at the moment, you figure it can’t hurt to bring him back.
I am rather surprised at Moore’s apparent lack of interest in Kevin Millwood. Hello! Former Brave! I thought that was the sort of thing he got off on.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination