Jan 11, 2011, 9:34 AM EDT
Dick Kaegel of MLB.com reports that the Royals haven’t ruled out re-signing Bruce Chen:
With Carl Pavano apparently heading back to the Twins, the thin free-agent market still includes Kevin Millwood, linked earlier with the Royals, and their top winner from last year, lefty Bruce Chen. Millwood’s name doesn’t stir much response from Moore.
What about Chen?
“We’re still open-minded with that. He performed very well with us last year and he showed us what he had, and we’ve got a comfort level there,” Moore said.
Chen’s walk rate and strikeout rates were basically the same in 2010 as they were during his truly awful previous few seasons. He allowed a couple fewer hits a game, which could be a function of random chance. Still, for the Royals he’s the devil they know versus a lot of devils they don’t know, and given how bad their pitching looks to be at the moment, you figure it can’t hurt to bring him back.
I am rather surprised at Moore’s apparent lack of interest in Kevin Millwood. Hello! Former Brave! I thought that was the sort of thing he got off on.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)