Jan 11, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT
When last we heard about Justin Duchscherer he was undergoing season-ending hip surgery. That, combined with the fact that before he went down he was 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA over his first five starts makes him the dictionary definition of a high-risk guy with some upside. Worth a cheap flier for someone in need of pitching.
The Yankees need pitching, and Jerry Crasnick reports that they’re interested in him. Could be as a starter, could be as a reliever. Could depend on whether Andy Pettitte decides if he’s coming back.
I like the idea of him in pinstripes better than Jeremy Bonderman or Jeff Francis or guys like that. Seems more likely to keep the ball in the yard than they would. Of course, he’s also way more likely to get hurt and miss a bunch of time too, but that’s the nature of risk.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)