Jan 11, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT
When last we heard about Justin Duchscherer he was undergoing season-ending hip surgery. That, combined with the fact that before he went down he was 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA over his first five starts makes him the dictionary definition of a high-risk guy with some upside. Worth a cheap flier for someone in need of pitching.
The Yankees need pitching, and Jerry Crasnick reports that they’re interested in him. Could be as a starter, could be as a reliever. Could depend on whether Andy Pettitte decides if he’s coming back.
I like the idea of him in pinstripes better than Jeremy Bonderman or Jeff Francis or guys like that. Seems more likely to keep the ball in the yard than they would. Of course, he’s also way more likely to get hurt and miss a bunch of time too, but that’s the nature of risk.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 34
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 9
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)