The Yankees are interested in Justin Duchscherer

Jan 11, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT

Justin Duchscherer

When last we heard about Justin Duchscherer he was undergoing season-ending hip surgery.  That, combined with the fact that before he went down he was 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA over his first five starts makes him the dictionary definition of a high-risk guy with some upside. Worth a cheap flier for someone in need of pitching.

The Yankees need pitching, and Jerry Crasnick reports that they’re interested in him.  Could be as a starter, could be as a reliever. Could depend on whether Andy Pettitte decides if he’s coming back.

I like the idea of him in pinstripes better than Jeremy Bonderman or Jeff Francis or guys like that. Seems more likely to keep the ball in the yard than they would.  Of course, he’s also way more likely to get hurt and miss a bunch of time too, but that’s the nature of risk.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Guess it would be worth a try before we end up with Nick Swisher as the fifth starter. That would still be better than THE FAT TOAD.

• uyf1950 - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I was just reading where Joba or “The Fat Toad” as you affectionately refer to him, IS IN THE BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE.
      Actually of all the reclamation projects the Yankees have been linked to this winter. I like this one the best.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:25 AM

What’s Andy’s excuse now for leaving everyone hanging here? I thought we would know last week if he was retiring or not. Anyone start a betting pool for this yet? Vegas maybe? Seems like a no brainer to do so.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Andy will be back, his ego is too big for any other circumstances to prevent it.The Core Four is engaging in a sit-down strike, wait til the season is over and watch Grumpy.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I’ve thought he’d be back from the get-go. I just don’t see reason to play games, unless it is “all about the money”? By what I see, I think he’s bending Cash over a barrel as we speak. A wooden barrel with splinters. And no tube lube. I think he knows he’ll be back, the yankees offered and he said. “Uh uh dudes, I’m only knarley for like one more season, I need to get paid very handsomely, overpaid even.” and followed up with “Thank you Phillies, thank you Cliff Lee.” He’s got more leverage than ever before and he knows it.

3. BC - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I’d give it a shot. It’s kind of like what they did with John Leiber a while back – just sort of stash him. If he’s not ready, fine. If he’s ready, give him a test drive in the minors and see what you have.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3238)