Jan 12, 2011, 10:41 AM EST
Armando Galarraga might be the most well known starting pitcher without an actual rotation spot this season, as the Tigers signing Brad Penny to a one-year, $3 million contract yesterday likely pushes Galarraga out of the starting five.
Galarraga is famous for his imperfect perfect game last year and will forever be linked to umpire Jim Joyce, but take away that June 2 start and he went just 3-9 with a 4.79 ERA in 135 innings.
For his career Galarraga is 23-26 with a 4.58 ERA in 475 innings and he turns 29 years old later this week, which puts him squarely in the back-of-the-rotation starter or long reliever category.
Jason Beck of MLB.com notes that Galarraga is out of minor-league options, which means he can’t be sent back to Triple-A without clearing waivers first, so barring an injury to someone in the Tigers’ rotation he’ll either be bullpen bound or trade bait. Detroit could also simply release him, but Galarraga is still relatively cheap in his first season of arbitration eligibility, so letting him go for nothing wouldn’t make much sense.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)