Charlie Manuel is due for an extension

Jan 12, 2011, 9:24 AM EDT

Charlie Manuel

Charlie Manuel’s contract is up after this season. I think the likelihood of Manuel not being extended or this actually turning into some kind of controversy or distraction is somewhere on the order of “bupkis,” to put it in Manuel-speak. Doesn’t mean that it won’t give some folks something to talk about.  Cholly isn’t worried, though:

“This is all a big hullabaloo about nothin’, see? No skin off my nose if ol’ Rube hasn’t come through with the simoleons yet.  It all be jake soon enough, get me?”

At least that’s what I think he said. My pencil lead broke when I was writing down his quotes, so I was working from memory.

1. BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Hey, even as a Mets fan, I have to say he’s done a great job and he’s priceless when it comes to sound bytes. But how old is he? Is he like Sparky Anderson, looking 20 years older than he really is? Just curious how much longer the guy wants to manage.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:19 AM

BC, when asked previously he was quoted as saying something to the effect of He’s going to try to compete with Connie Mack for being the oldest wrinkle bag to ever manage an MLB team. I don’t think that’ll happen myself. 5 years more is the max I’d say. Then it looks like Ryne Sandberg will more than likely fill his shoes, if he isn’t lured away by other offers anyway.

I remember during the annual (it seems) Phills slump last season. “Fans” (idiots) on that website commenting were calling to fire ole’ Cholly.

What a buncha Maroons. See….

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Half of his team was in the hospital at that point, and they hadn’t traded for Oswalt yet. And they were still, what, about 5 games out?
        Can’t imagine being a Philly sports fan. I thought NY Football Giants fans (moi) were fanatical. Philly takes it to a whole new level.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM

For real, they are blood thirsty, and many of them just don’t get it. After replying angrily to many of the “Maroons”, I gave up on it. It gave me perspective on how little some people really know about the game. He’s the best we’ve had since i don’t remember when, and the Phillies skipper with the best winning pct. ever. Sure some isn’t his doing, and much can be attributed to Luck, the owners, and Gillick, and believe it or not Wade (Who is still impacting the Phills to this very day all the way from Houston for some reason). But Charlie knows how to run a team very well imo.

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Who was the guy they had in the 70′s? I think Dallas Green succeeded him…. Danny Ozark? Can’t recall. Well, he had to be pretty darn good. But the Phillies were a$$-loaded with talent in the late 70′s, then trucked in the geezer squad (Rose and company) in the early 80′s).

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Jonny5, I love Uncle Charlie and agree that he is the best we’ve had in quite a while. But I also understand when people get disillusioned with the guy at times. Look, we all know he is about as bad as it gets at game managing. His lineups last year left a lot to be desired as well, but with all the injuries, he did the best he could. His terrible mishandling of Domo might just screw the kid up for a couple years. And he misuses the bullpen horribly as well. All of that being said, he is the best “people manager” maybe in baseball history. He knows when to be a dad and when to let things go. The way he handled J-Roll a couple years ago was when I gained all the respect in the world for the guy and would NEVER advocate firing him ever. The players love him…they play for him…and to me, that trumps his terrible in-game management.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM

BC, I’d have to look it up since i was just a tot back then. I just got the history of the team for x-mas woo hooo!

And as for you Mr. Chris Fiorentino. Whatever shortcomings his managing skills may have, you are to never, ever put the words “Terrible” or “horrible” in the same same paragraph as the words “Charlie Manuel” ever again!!! Unless it something like “Charlie had some asphalt problems sumptin’ terrible, causin’ him some horrible pain, so he wandered down to his proctollergist”. ;)

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Charlie Manuel is terrible good.
        How’s that? ;-)

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Horribly perfect…

• Brian - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM

If Cholly trotted the Cookie Monster (and I’m not talking about Joe Blanton) out there to throw an inning or two, I wouldn’t say a damn thing about it.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

My son would be ecstatic to see that, but if it was Elmo, he might just pass out from excitement. As long as it isn’t Grover, though, ’cause he can’t even land right.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM

He’s 66

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:15 AM

So you give him, what, maybe 3 years? That’s probably the peak window on the team anyway.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Ohhh-kaaaayyy…? What’s your point? How old was McKeon when he was with the Tuna?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM

72-73?

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I actually see now that he(? you never can tell with these handles) was replying to a question from BC. I thought he was just making a statement of Chuck’s age and was answering him like it didn’t much matter. But then again, I have snow up to my knees, so what the hell do I know? (Wow…that really doesn’t make any sense, but I’m going with it anyway, so THERE!!)

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Utley – 24 inches of snow and counting at the northern CT homestead. Literally cannot open my storm door. And running painfully low on Ketel One. We may have an emergency. Also… I think McKeon was 73 when with the Feesh. I know Leyland has to be closing in on 70. Torre was just 70 this year. My thinking was just that he’d hang around to see if he can pocket another couple championships and then retire when Rollins, Howard, Halliday, Oswalt (if they keep him), Lee, Lidge all creep up on 35 and the team is poised to crater.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Wow…that sucks…FOR YOU!!!!!!! Hahaha…just kidding. You might want to break out the brewskis then. As they say, liquor and then beer…

I exaggerated just a bit. Down here, it was over my ankles, but maybe about upper Achilles, anyway.

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Utley – I have a nice bottle of Reisling ready in reserve, just put it in the fridge to chill. Way ahead of ya. ;-)

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Dude, you have 24 inches of snow!!! Turn off the fridge and put the contents outside, man!!! It’ll save you on electicity bills.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet