Hamilton still in hospital with pneumonia, but improving

Jan 12, 2011, 10:15 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Texas Rangers, Game 4 Getty Images

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton was hospitalized earlier this week with what was being termed “an early case of pneumonia.”

Now we have an update.

Hamilton is still in the hospital and isn’t expected to get out until the weekend, but the Rangers are saying that he has shown “significant improvement” and that he is only being held in order to accelerate his recovery.

Spring training doesn’t get underway until late February and the 2010 American League MVP has over a month to regain whatever strength he might have lost this week to the illness.

Hamilton hit .359/.411/.633 last year with 32 home runs, 100 RBI and eight stolen bases as the Rangers traveled all the way to the World Series.  He also played his typical brand of excellent defense in the outfield.

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Boy, I hope he didn’t fall off the wagon and we’re being lied to. But this seems a little long for a slight case of pneumonia to me. I’ve had it before and was out in a day. I’ve had my appendix removed, I was so bad I was blacking out from infection. 3 days and I was home. Not pointing fingers. Josh seems like a great guy, and whatever the deal is I hope he gets better soon. Just makes me wonder that’s all.

• clydeserra - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM

he likely has better insurance than you or I.

• phillysoulfan - Jan 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM

No, Jonny is right. I had it before too and wasn’t even hospitalized, my PCP took care of it. Something else is going on here.

• usersuzer - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Don’t be so negative. He’s likely on IV antibiotics (to recover more quickly). A lung infection can be very serious.

2. phukyouk - Jan 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

You took PCP for pneumonia? thats some badass pneumonia

3. indyralph - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM

There are varying levels of pneumonia. In November, my brother (23 and otherwise healthy) had a case of early stage pneumonia and got oral antibiotics. Two days later he was rushed to the ER and was put on oxygen and IV antibiotics. He spent three days in the ICU and another two in the hospital. For two weeks after his release, he didn’t have enough energy to stand long enough to take a shower. It wouldn’t be the first celebrity cover up, but pneumonia’s no joke.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3697)