The Rays sign Kyle Farnsworth

Jan 12, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT

Kyle Farnsworth

UPDATE:  Several other reporters including Buster Olney and Marc Topkin are now following up on DRaysBay’s report, an expanded version of which you can see here.  Of course none of these other people are actually crediting DRaysBay from what I’ve seen because bloggers apparently don’t know nothin’ never, but it does appear that their report has been borne out.

10:57 AM: DRaysBay is reporting that Kyle Farnsworth and the Rays have agreed to a deal. It hasn’t been confirmed by team or player yet. Indeed, Drays Bay is still working to verify it themselves, as it could be a misfire rumor. Could be legit. Could just be every Yankees and Red Sox fan’s fantasy.

Ah, I can’t gin up any real Farnsworth hate.  He’s a useful guy if you don’t (a) think he can still throw 100 m.p.h.; (b) think he can handle high-leverage situations; or (c) pay him anything approaching real money. He’s an arm with some things to recommend it, even if it does make you sick when he’s your team’s big move at the trade deadline.  The Rays could use him. Lots of teams could.

And besides, if Farnsworth continues to pitch, he’s guaranteed to get more features over at The Dugout, and that’s comedy gold.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM

THE FAST TOAD lands again!

2. uyf1950 - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM

3. BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Oh cool. That would be good for at least one good basebrawl with Boston or the Yankees this year.

4. Old Gator - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM

What is this guy, the Keanu Reeves of #4 starters?

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM

More like Michael Caine. Just keeps showing up everywhere.

• spudchukar - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Michael Caine is talented.

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Yeah, but is Michael Caine in the best shape of his life?

5. phukyouk - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Rays just locked up the AL East.

I will say thought no matter what watching him take down Youk like the B*tch that he is will forever be one of me all time favorite moments in baseball history.

6. Ari Collins - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM

MLB Trade Rumors has DRaysBay as the first reporter, so there’s that.

Also, Farnsworth is great as long as you don’t expect him to be great. By which I mean: he’s a solid second- or third-best reliever. Good move by Tampa.

• spudchukar - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM

This may be the first time “great” and “third-best reliever” have been used in the same sentence.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Always good to hear a blog do some great news reporting. Well done!

That said, I just had a really hard time not laughing at my desk reading that Dugout conversation, thanks Craig.

8. uyf1950 - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM

It’s being reported by ESPN that the deal with the Rays is for 1 year at $3.25M with an option for a 2nd year. A career 4.39 ERA and .252 BAA. In a 12 year career he has had exactly 4 years with an ERA under 4.00 and 3 of those years were before 2006. Since 2006 his ERA is a generous 4.31.
    Like I said earlier. As a Yankee fan, Farnsworth being back in the American League and with an East Division competitor is the best news I’ve heard all winter.

9. phukyouk - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I once broke my TV because of him. no really… 2007 the Yanks were playing the Halos on a sunday afternoon and they were up like 8-1 and in comes Farnsworth. sure enough it was like 8-6 or 8-7 and i literally threw my Remote right threw the TV.

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Awesome. I tried (alas I failed) to do the same when Beltran struck out to end the NLCS against the Cards.

10. phukyouk - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

oh i got a story for that one too. i was in a sports bar called Fox Sports Grill watching that game, now i should preface this with the fact that my CTO at the time was a DIE HARD Muts fan and all he did for the week before was talk about how awesome it was that the Yanks were eliminated in the first round and that the Muts were going to the series. so there i am watching the game not really rooting for anyone cause i dont root against the Muts as long as they are NOT playing the Yanks. when that ball was caught over the wall i knew it was going to be something special. so there is Beltran at the plate and EVERYONE in the bar is so gddamn quite you could hear a mouse fart. its 0-2 and hes got that stupid look on his face. pitch somes down and the Ump punches him out and without thinking i jump up and as loud as i can i yell YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! the bouncer walks up to me and says “you had better GTF outta here now” i was escorted out of the bar cause they said i was a liability. needless to say the next day my CTO wrote me up for insubordination when i kept rubbing it in his face. was worth it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3083)