Pitchers and catchers report in 33 days. Or thereabouts.

Jan 12, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

Use Your Illusion

The league released the complete list of spring training reporting and workout dates yesterday. To see when your rooting interest gets underway, click here.

Pitchers and catchers report as early as February 14th for some teams and as late as February 17th for others. Likewise, full-squad workouts begin as early as February 19th for some teams and as late as February 23rd. But only one team reports on the 23rd: the Twins.

I went to college at a school that was on the quarter system rather than the semester system. As such, I had nearly a month of knocking around my hometown after all my friends went away to college before I got to go.  It was kind of a drag, actually.  Apart from waiting in line at the record store to buy Guns N’ Roses “Use Your Illusion I and II” the day it came out (on cassette, natch), it was a totally wasted month.  I wonder if the Twins position players feel like that.

I also wonder how many of them own “Use Your Illusion I and II” on cassette. Maybe Joe Nathan. He’s the only one about the right age for that.

1. twinsfn343 - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I believe the Twins are purposely last to report every year.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:17 AM

That was one awesome album, which I also had to buy in cassette form. It sucked to learn AR was actually a $%^#. But whatever…

I’m dying, for baseball to begin. I have never looked forward to the season beginning more than I do this season. Mostly because i’m a Phills fan, and they’ve sucked for most of my existence. But this season seems special.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM

As Pierre Robert says of A$$-l Rose, “He’s a flaming turd.”

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM

LOL! can’t say he’s wrong. how about that hair he’s sporting now??? what is he? Rocker or Rapper? he looks like Snoop, bleached out.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I think he’s more like an older Kid Rock who spilled the bottle of wite-out he was drinking.

3. phukyouk - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM

“Get in the Ring”

• sportsdrenched - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

You want to antagonize me?…..

I too remember having the cassettes, and I remember thinking I was “all that” when I updraded to CD.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

November rain was my favorite, and get in the ring was #2. As I remember it anyway.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM

After reporting, of course comes spring training. Did anyone else notice that the one exhibition between the Universe and the Nation had ticket prices about three times normal (almost 50 bucks)?
    Don’t worry Jonny, the Phillies are only in the $15 range.
    And the Tigers are cheap the whole time, even if they play in a stadium named for some Joker.

5. kinggeorge96 - Jan 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I probably still have both of those cassettes in a box somewhere… something to show the grandkids one day.. ah, memories.. we will enjoy them! Since the evil football has nothing worth looking forward to this year, I too find myself in a terrible state waiting for pitchers & catchers. Between football and baseball is the only time I don’t mind time moving a little quicker these days.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:28 PM

As someone who’s only loved sport is baseball, I can’t wait either. As a Cub fan, I’m pretty excited to see a couple famous ex-Rays tear up the NL Central a bit.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM

My condolences on your affiliation.

• spudchukar - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Know how you can always tell a Cubs fan? By the scars.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5371)