Jan 12, 2011, 6:20 AM EDT
Back in 1995 Bill James wrote a book about the Hall of Fame.* In that book, he tried to predict who would be elected to the Hall between the years 1995-2019. In that such an exercise is (a) fun; (b) impossible; and (c) intriguing, it was right up James’ alley.
Yesterday Bill from The Platoon Advantage went back over James’ picks to see how he’d doing so far and to figure out where he went wrong. It’s a post that is (a) fun; (b) beefy; and (c) intriguing, so it’s right up Bill’s alley.
Personally, I’d like to live in a world in which Brett Butler, Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker are in the Hall of Fame. Not sure I want to live in a world in which Joe Carter is, but you take the good with the bad.
*The book was originally titled “The Politics of Glory,” but was renamed “Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame: Baseball, Cooperstown and the Politics of Glory.” I guess I understand the marketing decisions behind that, but God do I hate how books are titled these days. If modern publishing conventions applied back in the day, “Heart of Darkness” would be titled “Where’s Kurtz? How two men faced the madness of the jungle and only one returned to tell the tale!”
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 30
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)