Jan 12, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Larry King has more time on his hands now that he’s quit doing that show of his. For example, he’s going out to eat with innings eaters:
Had dinner last night with Barry Zito – famed Giants pitcher. He does everything right handed except pitch!
Barry! Try the right arm!
Actually, I just posted this because I’ve long had a weird fixation on Larry King. Not his TV show, but his column in USA Today. I have no idea if it runs anymore, but I used to read it all the time back when I’d get USA Today for baseball stats in the late 80s. Every King column was a beautiful steam of consciousness, mostly referencing baseball, political celebrities and late-Golden Age Hollywood actors:
Say what you will about Iran-Contra, but I think Ollie North is going to bring back the crew-cut … Earl Weaver can cuss like a drill sergeant, but he can sing like an angel … For my money, there’s no better bowler than Angela Lansbury … Roddy McDowell: Class Act …
It would just go on and on like that. But the guy really does love baseball.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)