Jan 12, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Larry King has more time on his hands now that he’s quit doing that show of his. For example, he’s going out to eat with innings eaters:
Had dinner last night with Barry Zito – famed Giants pitcher. He does everything right handed except pitch!
Barry! Try the right arm!
Actually, I just posted this because I’ve long had a weird fixation on Larry King. Not his TV show, but his column in USA Today. I have no idea if it runs anymore, but I used to read it all the time back when I’d get USA Today for baseball stats in the late 80s. Every King column was a beautiful steam of consciousness, mostly referencing baseball, political celebrities and late-Golden Age Hollywood actors:
Say what you will about Iran-Contra, but I think Ollie North is going to bring back the crew-cut … Earl Weaver can cuss like a drill sergeant, but he can sing like an angel … For my money, there’s no better bowler than Angela Lansbury … Roddy McDowell: Class Act …
It would just go on and on like that. But the guy really does love baseball.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)