Jan 12, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Larry King has more time on his hands now that he’s quit doing that show of his. For example, he’s going out to eat with innings eaters:
Had dinner last night with Barry Zito – famed Giants pitcher. He does everything right handed except pitch!
Barry! Try the right arm!
Actually, I just posted this because I’ve long had a weird fixation on Larry King. Not his TV show, but his column in USA Today. I have no idea if it runs anymore, but I used to read it all the time back when I’d get USA Today for baseball stats in the late 80s. Every King column was a beautiful steam of consciousness, mostly referencing baseball, political celebrities and late-Golden Age Hollywood actors:
Say what you will about Iran-Contra, but I think Ollie North is going to bring back the crew-cut … Earl Weaver can cuss like a drill sergeant, but he can sing like an angel … For my money, there’s no better bowler than Angela Lansbury … Roddy McDowell: Class Act …
It would just go on and on like that. But the guy really does love baseball.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)