Jan 12, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Larry King has more time on his hands now that he’s quit doing that show of his. For example, he’s going out to eat with innings eaters:
Had dinner last night with Barry Zito – famed Giants pitcher. He does everything right handed except pitch!
Barry! Try the right arm!
Actually, I just posted this because I’ve long had a weird fixation on Larry King. Not his TV show, but his column in USA Today. I have no idea if it runs anymore, but I used to read it all the time back when I’d get USA Today for baseball stats in the late 80s. Every King column was a beautiful steam of consciousness, mostly referencing baseball, political celebrities and late-Golden Age Hollywood actors:
Say what you will about Iran-Contra, but I think Ollie North is going to bring back the crew-cut … Earl Weaver can cuss like a drill sergeant, but he can sing like an angel … For my money, there’s no better bowler than Angela Lansbury … Roddy McDowell: Class Act …
It would just go on and on like that. But the guy really does love baseball.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)