Jan 12, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Larry King has more time on his hands now that he’s quit doing that show of his. For example, he’s going out to eat with innings eaters:
Had dinner last night with Barry Zito – famed Giants pitcher. He does everything right handed except pitch!
Barry! Try the right arm!
Actually, I just posted this because I’ve long had a weird fixation on Larry King. Not his TV show, but his column in USA Today. I have no idea if it runs anymore, but I used to read it all the time back when I’d get USA Today for baseball stats in the late 80s. Every King column was a beautiful steam of consciousness, mostly referencing baseball, political celebrities and late-Golden Age Hollywood actors:
Say what you will about Iran-Contra, but I think Ollie North is going to bring back the crew-cut … Earl Weaver can cuss like a drill sergeant, but he can sing like an angel … For my money, there’s no better bowler than Angela Lansbury … Roddy McDowell: Class Act …
It would just go on and on like that. But the guy really does love baseball.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)