Quote of the Day: Larry King on Barry Zito

Jan 12, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Larry King

Larry King has more time on his hands now that he’s quit doing that show of his.  For example, he’s going out to eat with innings eaters:

Had dinner last night with Barry Zito – famed Giants pitcher. He does everything right handed except pitch!

Barry! Try the right arm!

Actually, I just posted this because I’ve long had a weird fixation on Larry King.  Not his TV show, but his column in USA Today. I have no idea if it runs anymore, but I used to read it all the time back when I’d get USA Today for baseball stats in the late 80s.  Every King column was a beautiful steam of consciousness, mostly referencing baseball, political celebrities and late-Golden Age Hollywood actors:

Say what you will about Iran-Contra, but I think Ollie North is going to bring back the crew-cut … Earl Weaver can cuss like a drill sergeant, but he can sing like an angel … For my money, there’s no better bowler than Angela Lansbury … Roddy McDowell: Class Act …

It would just go on and on like that. But the guy really does love baseball.

1. billybeaneismyhero - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Angela Lansbury always looked like a great bowler…

2. BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM

He goes through wives like I go through pairs of socks….

3. sabosgoggles - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Seek out The Onion’s spoof on Larry King’s column. You’ll love it. A snippet:
    “There is nothing more pleasurable than spreading butter all over your chest and watching TV…. Don’t count out Olympia Dukakis in the 1953 Oscar race…. If you see my good friend Harry, tell him to give me a call…. Kudos to those fine folks who make Bugles so consistently delicious…. I just thought of a great question to ask Jan Michael Vincent…. Boy, do I hate this shirt….”

4. Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I may need to switch out the DVD player, but I see him and can’t help but picture Bee Larry King in Bee Movie.

5. Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM

That’s strange. I’ve always had the impression that Larry loves nothing and nobody. I’m glad he’s out of the talk show thing, it seemed his “thought filter” was malfunctioning and getting him into hot water.

6. BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Larry is currently like John Madden and Pat Summerall. You were great in your day. Time to go bye bye and play some shuffleboard and cribbage somewhere.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM

And Joe Buck and Tim McCarver…only not so much of the “great in your day” part.

7. seeingwhatsticks - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Larry King loves baseball so much he invented a friendship with Sandy Koufax that doesn’t exist.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

He and Abner Doubleday invented baseball. It’s a fact…just ask Bud Selig.

8. merkleboner - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

9. IdahoMariner - Jan 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

“a beautiful steam of consciousness”

I am assuming, Craig, that this “typo” wasn’t a typo, but was intentional, because it is even more apt the way you wrote it. I pictured his random thoughts wafting out of his ears, ala his “steam” of consciousness.

10. aaronmoreno - Jan 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I’m gonna assume you meant to call it “steam” of consciousness.

11. apbaguy - Jan 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I met Larry king briefly on a shuttle flight from DC to NYC about 15 years ago. Actually, he “met” everyone on the plane. He had “his” seat, right by the front door, and he was seated first (celebrity privilege) so we all went through the receiving line while we were boarding. It was funny and he was gracious. Even funnier, he kept up a stream of consciousness conversation with the first two rows the whole flight.

“Waddya think of the Yankees?” No pause for an answer “That Paul O’Neill, he’s a gamer!”. On and on for over an hour.

I remember thinking his column was probably dictated while he was in the shower. I also remember thinking that’s why he was divorced so often. After a while each wife would just hit the breaking point:

“Shut up, Larry!”

12. Glenn - Jan 12, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I loved his late night radio show in the 80s. There was something random about it that maybe only an insomniac could love.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3448)