The Phillies are interested in John Maine

Jan 12, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT

John Maine

ESPN is reporting that the Phillies are talking to John Maine.  You’ll recall that he was non-tendered by the Mets.  I guess not every pitcher the Phillies go after can be an ace.  Although, given how stealthy Ruben Amaro has been this winter, this is probably just a cover story as he secretly plots to trade for Tulotizki, Sabathia and Pujols.

Maine was ineffective much of last year, probably because he was hurt. I say probably because his own pitching coach called him a “habitual liar” when it comes to his health. Really.  He may have been hurt even when he said he wasn’t. He also tends to forget really, really important things from time to time.

A mixed bag, really.

1. phillygirl4 - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Utley lies about his health all the time so he’d fit right in.

2. BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM

The guy was pretty darn good for a while, but his arm is hanging by a thread. Eh. Be curious to see if they throw like $1 mil at him.
    Would be interesting if they use him as a 1-inning reliever. If he can build up and be healthy, he could be of use that way.
    (So the Mets non-tender Maine, and we’re still stuck with Ollie Perez. Can someone pass the arsenic?)

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I don’t think he’s a million dollar pitcher myself, but then again that waste of oxygen Danys Baez got a pretty sweet deal from them. From what I hear BC, Ollie remembered how to pitch over the winter. Is this true or has that changed?

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Unsure, but I hear Ollie is in the best shape of his life, though.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

The most expensive bullpen bench holder-downer in the history of baseball.

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM

J5: he got off to a good start but then pretty much reverted to form. I believe there was a post about him a couple of weeks ago chronicling his inability to dig himself out of his habitual rut. It’s going to boil down, I think, to a very few opportunities to get his act together in spring training. If he gets shelled a couple of times, I suspect he’s going to be abandoned on Plum Island with a can of spam, a desalinization kit, two pen injectors full of anthrax vaccine and everyone’s best wishes for a long and healthy disappearance.

3. phukyouk - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM

man if they get Maine then its all over /Sarcastic

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM

They’ll win 140 games!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM

165.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Doesn’t this guy tip his pitches some? I’ve heard he does.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I say go after Pelfrey. The clubhouse interaction with Chase would make it more than worth it.

• BC - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM

We’ll give you Ollie Perez, Maine and Castillo for a used Roy Halliday jock.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

How about Ollie Perez, Maine, Castillo and a bazillion in cash, for you to be able to say they’re gone…?

4. sdelmonte - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I never get it when players who aren’t good enough for bad teams land with good ones. Then again, those players usually wash out there as well.

• phukyouk - Jan 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Nah… Look at contreras.. he did fine after leaving the Yanks. then again.. lots of folks do.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5335)