Jan 12, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
ESPN is reporting that the Phillies are talking to John Maine. You’ll recall that he was non-tendered by the Mets. I guess not every pitcher the Phillies go after can be an ace. Although, given how stealthy Ruben Amaro has been this winter, this is probably just a cover story as he secretly plots to trade for Tulotizki, Sabathia and Pujols.
Maine was ineffective much of last year, probably because he was hurt. I say probably because his own pitching coach called him a “habitual liar” when it comes to his health. Really. He may have been hurt even when he said he wasn’t. He also tends to forget really, really important things from time to time.
A mixed bag, really.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)