Jan 12, 2011, 3:35 PM EST
ESPN is reporting that the Phillies are talking to John Maine. You’ll recall that he was non-tendered by the Mets. I guess not every pitcher the Phillies go after can be an ace. Although, given how stealthy Ruben Amaro has been this winter, this is probably just a cover story as he secretly plots to trade for Tulotizki, Sabathia and Pujols.
Maine was ineffective much of last year, probably because he was hurt. I say probably because his own pitching coach called him a “habitual liar” when it comes to his health. Really. He may have been hurt even when he said he wasn’t. He also tends to forget really, really important things from time to time.
A mixed bag, really.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 251
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (251)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)