Jan 12, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
ESPN is reporting that the Phillies are talking to John Maine. You’ll recall that he was non-tendered by the Mets. I guess not every pitcher the Phillies go after can be an ace. Although, given how stealthy Ruben Amaro has been this winter, this is probably just a cover story as he secretly plots to trade for Tulotizki, Sabathia and Pujols.
Maine was ineffective much of last year, probably because he was hurt. I say probably because his own pitching coach called him a “habitual liar” when it comes to his health. Really. He may have been hurt even when he said he wasn’t. He also tends to forget really, really important things from time to time.
A mixed bag, really.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)