Jan 12, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
But also doesn’t care. And he actually makes a half-decent case for not really caring:
“I think the most important thing about getting contracts like this is you get to go out and do so many different things in the community.
“You get to go out and impact lives. The way I feel about it, I was blessed with that contract to go out and do things. Everybody would say I’m not worth the money and I would totally agree that I’m not worth that contract, but I don’t think there is anybody … but I know what I can do with that contract will far outdo what that contract’s worth.”
Post-hoc rationalization? Maybe, but if he is really out there in the community doing good things, good for him. It’s not like he should have said no, he wasn’t taking the deal at the time it was offered. And saying what he said here is damn sight better than being that guy in the middle of an awful deal acting like he’s entitled to it or something.
I’m glad I’m not paying Vernon Wells, but he’s pretty clear-eyed about thing, it seems.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)