Vernon Wells agrees: he’s not worth his contract

Jan 12, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT

Vernon Wells

But also doesn’t care. And he actually makes a half-decent case for not really caring:

“I think the most important thing about getting contracts like this is you get to go out and do so many different things in the community.

“You get to go out and impact lives. The way I feel about it, I was blessed with that contract to go out and do things. Everybody would say I’m not worth the money and I would totally agree that I’m not worth that contract, but I don’t think there is anybody … but I know what I can do with that contract will far outdo what that contract’s worth.”

Post-hoc rationalization? Maybe, but if he is really out there in the community doing good things, good for him. ┬áIt’s not like he should have said no, he wasn’t taking the deal at the time it was offered. And saying what he said here is damn sight better than being that guy in the middle of an awful deal acting like he’s entitled to it or something.

I’m glad I’m not paying Vernon Wells, but he’s pretty clear-eyed about thing, it seems.

(link via Big League Stew)

1. missthemexpos - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I wonder who was the GM that overpaid Vernon? Could it be the the same GM that backed up the Brinks truck to overpay Frank Thomas, B. J. Ryan, Alex Rios, among others.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

It’s always good to see humility in a player.

3. Utley's Hair - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM

So he is saying that he’s getting paid for community service? That’s rich…well, actually HE’s rich. Here I am thinking he’s paid to play baseball—with the service to the community as icing (on Heyward’s pie). Respect level…diminishing….

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM

The crazy part is that even if he were doing exactly what he was doing before he signed the contract, he STILL wouldn’t be worth the contract.

5. alamosweet - Jan 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Wells is acknowledging what I’ve thought about these big contracts for a while: baseball players are not really individuals so much as they are business entities/brands/commodities. A team is not paying simply for player performance, but for the suite of value that they represent, from performance to image to jerseys, etc.

Wells is talking about one aspect of this here, the community service part, but in a broader sense he is explaining the fact that he is a brand that the Jays invested in, not that he is a laborer whose output on the field is worth exactly what he’s being paid.

• fquaye149 - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Well, not really. It is awesome that Wells is treating his contract as a responsibility to involve himself in the community, but teams pay money to players in order that the players–as individuals–can help the franchise make money. If a team feels they can’t make money without the player representing a certain image, then that will be part of the contract (e.g. the Yankees requiring neatly shaved facial hair for their players). A MLB salary is like any salary in any other work arena in America (with the possible exception of government jobs) wherein organizations pay money to their employees so they can spend the least possible money on that employee and still incentivize him or her to do the job well and retain them as employees

6. Lukehart80 - Jan 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Vernon’s bonafide, Vernon’s got prospects.

7. proudlycanadian - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM

One thing that is under reported is that a significant portion of that contract goes to a charitable foundation.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3512)