Andruw Jones is in demand

Jan 13, 2011, 6:25 AM EST

Andruw Jones

Jon Heyman reports that, in addition to the Yankees and the Rockies, the Tampa Bay Rays are now talking to Andruw Jones.

Jones hit  .230/.341/.486 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI for the White Sox last season, but is line against lefties — .256/.373./.558 — is pretty attractive for a lot of teams. He’d certainly have more opportunities to hit in Tampa Bay than he would in New York — where Jorge Posada is going to be the everyday DH — or Colorado, where Jones would have to play more defense in a big outfield that would kill a lot of his value.

By the way, the fact that I feel really weird talking about Andruw Jones as a defensive liability is perhaps the best evidence that, as time goes on, I find myself stuck in the 1990s more and more.  Well, that and the fact that I watched a bunch of X-Files episodes last night.  There was a time when Andruw Jones was the best outfielder in baseball. There was a time when cell phones were a foot long. There was a time when I considered quitting law school and leaving my wife so I could stalk Gillian Anderson full time.

Times change.

1. Kevin S. - Jan 13, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Depending on what the Yankees think of Jones’ abilities to at least man left field, he could still start against almost every lefty the Yanks face given both Gardner’s and Granderson’s platoon splits. Not sure how the Rays would be using him.

Though, scuttlebutt was they’re in on Thome, too. That DH platoon would be all kinds of sick-nasty. Might just go down as the first HOF DH platoon.

2. Jeremiah Graves - Jan 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I think Jones is probably better off choosing an AL team where the bulk of his at-bats can come as a DH and the rest as an OF. He’s not a complete butcher out there, but you don’t want to rely on him on a regular basis if you can avoid it. Stick him at DH and put him in the corners when he’s gotta play the field.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jan 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I don’t want another rent-a-DH, 4th outfielder of this caliber. Wait til the trade deadline, then rent someone better.

• pisano - Jan 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I agree, his declining fielding abilities and his .230 average with his strike outs doesn’t exactly make him a must have.

4. okobojicat - Jan 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM

“There was a time when I considered quitting law school and leaving my wife so I could stalk Gillian Anderson full time.”

Then there would’ve been two of us on that beat. That might’ve been awkward.

5. phukyouk - Jan 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM

so im VERY confused. why do you have to leave your wife to stalk someone? can’t it be like a hobby or something that you do on monday nights after work? and Gillian Anderson? really? i dunno man.. there were so many hotter chicks back then.

6. bobbcronin - Jan 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I have been saying since the beginning of free agency that Andruw Jones would look good for the Phillies – good defense, plays center, hits right handed, hits against lefties.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5330)