Jan 13, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT
No one may want Bobby Valentine to manage their team, but someone loves him: his hometown of Stamford, Connecticut. Earlier this week he was named Stamford’s “Citizen of the Year.” Today he was named the city’s Director of Public Safety.
There was probably a need for a new Director of Public Safety, actually: the last guy couldn’t even keep mild-mannered executives from scaling downtown buildings in broad daylight. And besides, having Valentine in charge of public safety is awesome because he also owns that sports bar in Stamford. Which means you can probably get totally out of control there and not have to worry about the cops barging in.
At least if Bobby isn’t mad at you.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)