Jan 13, 2011, 11:36 AM EST
No one may want Bobby Valentine to manage their team, but someone loves him: his hometown of Stamford, Connecticut. Earlier this week he was named Stamford’s “Citizen of the Year.” Today he was named the city’s Director of Public Safety.
There was probably a need for a new Director of Public Safety, actually: the last guy couldn’t even keep mild-mannered executives from scaling downtown buildings in broad daylight. And besides, having Valentine in charge of public safety is awesome because he also owns that sports bar in Stamford. Which means you can probably get totally out of control there and not have to worry about the cops barging in.
At least if Bobby isn’t mad at you.
- UPDATE: Giants believe Hunter Pence suffered broken left forearm on hit-by-pitch 1
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 7
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 136
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)