Jan 13, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Coming off the worst season of his career, Derek Jeter will report to the Yankees’ spring training complex in two weeks to get a head start working with hitting coach Kevin Long.
Full squad workouts aren’t until February 20, but Long told Brian Costello of the New York Post that Jeter “wants to get going” and has already started to make some mechanical adjustments:
We’re well on our way to getting that taken care of and seeing if we can’t speed up the process with him a little bit. I just want to pick up basically where we left off last year and go from there. I think we found something with his stride and the direction of his stride and going up and down with his stride instead of gaining distance and going in. We’re going to try to keep it as simple as we can, try to control his movement and try to get him to be more consistent through the contact point.
Jeter batted .330 in April last year, but then hit just .260 with a lowly .344 slugging percentage in 136 games from May 1 to the end of the season while never cracking even a .725 OPS in a month. After some ugliness in negotiations played out through the media, Jeter and the Yankees agreed to a three-year, $51 million deal that will keep him in New York through at least age 39.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)