Ed Kranepool only roots for the Mets if they’re winning. And that’s OK.

Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT

Ed Kranepool Pausing for Camera

Mets legend Ed Kranepool, speaking to the TC Palm down in Port. St. Lucie:

Like Mets fans, Kranepool said he only watches the team if they are winning.

“I only watch a good product,” Kranepool said. “If they are winning, I will watch, and if not, I turn the station and root for someone else.

“I am a Met true and true. I am the only guy who played his whole career with the Mets, I’ve got the longest time, longevity-wise … but I still want to see a good ball club.”

If anyone on the planet has a right to feel this way about their ballclub, it’s Ed Kranepool and the Mets. He’s been there for it all, and he shouldn’t have to endure a minute’s more unpleasantness in his life by virtue of the Mets not being all that good than he already has.

And to be honest, I know a lot of Mets fans who feel much the same way.  Really, I don’t think there’s a fan base of its size in all of sports that has a more balanced take on things.  Mets fans love ‘em when they win. When they don’t, well, they’re not gonna cry about it and make their lives miserable.  Don’t get ‘em wrong — they’ll be there for the team through thick and thin — but you rarely find a Mets fans who lets his team’s misfortunes truly upset him any more than a few minutes after the game is over. Life goes on. There’s another game tomorrow.

Some folks may think that’s not cool, and that you should almost literally live and die with your team.  Personally, I find it kind of healthy.

(link via Mets Police)

1. BC - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Guess he’s going to be watching a lot of “Two And A Half Men” reruns this year.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM

“Mmmmennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn”

2. Detroit Michael - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

“I am the only guy who played his whole career with the Mets …”
    Ron Hodges says “hello.” There must be many more players with shorter careers who played only with the Mets.

3. sdelmonte - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Just for the record, I love them when they lose, too. The only time I don’t love them is when they don’t try. And I will gladly watch or listen to the Mets even when it’s a bad game. (Thank you, Gary and Ron and Keith and Howie and Wayne for being good broadcasters, BTW.)

But otherwise…yeah, that’s me. The grand collapses of ’07 and ’08 bummed me out. For a day. After that, it was equal parts “wait till next year” and “hey, it’s playoff time” and “I have bills I forgot to pay last month.” I love the game, but it’s just a game.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Now that’s the spirit, and indicative of the Metropolitans fans I know. Said a couple of weeks ago I wish they were better so I could have a discourse with them when there was at least a glimmer of possibility that there might be a Subway Series.
      With this empathy, I still have problems of my own trying to run the Universe.

• seanmk - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM

not like yankees fans aren’t the same way. or any big city fan base for that matter

• sdelmonte - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I will add that during the Subway Series, I did kind of lose perspective and took that loss hard, even though at some level I also knew that the Mets were not as good as the Yanks. But then, it was not about baseball. It was about New York. And as dispassionate as I can be on sports, that is how passionate I am about my city.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Thanks, and given how you feel, I can tell you’re a rational New York baseball fan. Do you listen to that guy Steve (something) on the FAN on weekend nights during the summer? He’s the only one I can stand on that station-he cracks me up.

4. fribnit - Jan 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

There are few teams where a player could be called a legend with a .261 career batting average, a single All-Star game appearance, no Gold Gloves, 1400 hits in an 18 year career and a whopping 118 home runs out of a power hitting position, but that is the Mets.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM

To paraphrase The Bard: Be not afraid of mediocrity; some are born mediocre, some achieve mediocrity, and others have mediocrity thrust upon them.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5464)