Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Mets legend Ed Kranepool, speaking to the TC Palm down in Port. St. Lucie:
Like Mets fans, Kranepool said he only watches the team if they are winning.
“I only watch a good product,” Kranepool said. “If they are winning, I will watch, and if not, I turn the station and root for someone else.
“I am a Met true and true. I am the only guy who played his whole career with the Mets, I’ve got the longest time, longevity-wise … but I still want to see a good ball club.”
If anyone on the planet has a right to feel this way about their ballclub, it’s Ed Kranepool and the Mets. He’s been there for it all, and he shouldn’t have to endure a minute’s more unpleasantness in his life by virtue of the Mets not being all that good than he already has.
And to be honest, I know a lot of Mets fans who feel much the same way. Really, I don’t think there’s a fan base of its size in all of sports that has a more balanced take on things. Mets fans love ‘em when they win. When they don’t, well, they’re not gonna cry about it and make their lives miserable. Don’t get ‘em wrong — they’ll be there for the team through thick and thin — but you rarely find a Mets fans who lets his team’s misfortunes truly upset him any more than a few minutes after the game is over. Life goes on. There’s another game tomorrow.
Some folks may think that’s not cool, and that you should almost literally live and die with your team. Personally, I find it kind of healthy.
(link via Mets Police)
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)