Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 PM EST
Mets legend Ed Kranepool, speaking to the TC Palm down in Port. St. Lucie:
Like Mets fans, Kranepool said he only watches the team if they are winning.
“I only watch a good product,” Kranepool said. “If they are winning, I will watch, and if not, I turn the station and root for someone else.
“I am a Met true and true. I am the only guy who played his whole career with the Mets, I’ve got the longest time, longevity-wise … but I still want to see a good ball club.”
If anyone on the planet has a right to feel this way about their ballclub, it’s Ed Kranepool and the Mets. He’s been there for it all, and he shouldn’t have to endure a minute’s more unpleasantness in his life by virtue of the Mets not being all that good than he already has.
And to be honest, I know a lot of Mets fans who feel much the same way. Really, I don’t think there’s a fan base of its size in all of sports that has a more balanced take on things. Mets fans love ‘em when they win. When they don’t, well, they’re not gonna cry about it and make their lives miserable. Don’t get ‘em wrong — they’ll be there for the team through thick and thin — but you rarely find a Mets fans who lets his team’s misfortunes truly upset him any more than a few minutes after the game is over. Life goes on. There’s another game tomorrow.
Some folks may think that’s not cool, and that you should almost literally live and die with your team. Personally, I find it kind of healthy.
(link via Mets Police)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)