Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Mets legend Ed Kranepool, speaking to the TC Palm down in Port. St. Lucie:
Like Mets fans, Kranepool said he only watches the team if they are winning.
“I only watch a good product,” Kranepool said. “If they are winning, I will watch, and if not, I turn the station and root for someone else.
“I am a Met true and true. I am the only guy who played his whole career with the Mets, I’ve got the longest time, longevity-wise … but I still want to see a good ball club.”
If anyone on the planet has a right to feel this way about their ballclub, it’s Ed Kranepool and the Mets. He’s been there for it all, and he shouldn’t have to endure a minute’s more unpleasantness in his life by virtue of the Mets not being all that good than he already has.
And to be honest, I know a lot of Mets fans who feel much the same way. Really, I don’t think there’s a fan base of its size in all of sports that has a more balanced take on things. Mets fans love ‘em when they win. When they don’t, well, they’re not gonna cry about it and make their lives miserable. Don’t get ‘em wrong — they’ll be there for the team through thick and thin — but you rarely find a Mets fans who lets his team’s misfortunes truly upset him any more than a few minutes after the game is over. Life goes on. There’s another game tomorrow.
Some folks may think that’s not cool, and that you should almost literally live and die with your team. Personally, I find it kind of healthy.
(link via Mets Police)
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)