Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Mets legend Ed Kranepool, speaking to the TC Palm down in Port. St. Lucie:
Like Mets fans, Kranepool said he only watches the team if they are winning.
“I only watch a good product,” Kranepool said. “If they are winning, I will watch, and if not, I turn the station and root for someone else.
“I am a Met true and true. I am the only guy who played his whole career with the Mets, I’ve got the longest time, longevity-wise … but I still want to see a good ball club.”
If anyone on the planet has a right to feel this way about their ballclub, it’s Ed Kranepool and the Mets. He’s been there for it all, and he shouldn’t have to endure a minute’s more unpleasantness in his life by virtue of the Mets not being all that good than he already has.
And to be honest, I know a lot of Mets fans who feel much the same way. Really, I don’t think there’s a fan base of its size in all of sports that has a more balanced take on things. Mets fans love ’em when they win. When they don’t, well, they’re not gonna cry about it and make their lives miserable. Don’t get ’em wrong — they’ll be there for the team through thick and thin — but you rarely find a Mets fans who lets his team’s misfortunes truly upset him any more than a few minutes after the game is over. Life goes on. There’s another game tomorrow.
Some folks may think that’s not cool, and that you should almost literally live and die with your team. Personally, I find it kind of healthy.
(link via Mets Police)
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)