Jan 13, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Kerry Wood was told by Cubs’ owner Tom Ricketts that he has a job with the Cubs for as long as he likes after he retires. One radio report yesterday said that Wood was specifically promised a broadcasting job, but Carrie Muskat of MLB.com says that’s baloney.
That certainly may explain why Wood took such a cheap deal to come back to Chicago. Thinkin’ about the future, you know? He already has a ton of money. It would be reasonable to think that maybe he wants to have something to do with his post-playing days other than sitting around the house counting it.
When I read the story I realized that I had no idea what Kerry Wood’s voice sounded like, so I looked for a video interview. Here’s one. For what it’s worth, it sounds like he’d have a good voice for TV or radio.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 64
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)