Jan 13, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Kerry Wood was told by Cubs’ owner Tom Ricketts that he has a job with the Cubs for as long as he likes after he retires. One radio report yesterday said that Wood was specifically promised a broadcasting job, but Carrie Muskat of MLB.com says that’s baloney.
That certainly may explain why Wood took such a cheap deal to come back to Chicago. Thinkin’ about the future, you know? He already has a ton of money. It would be reasonable to think that maybe he wants to have something to do with his post-playing days other than sitting around the house counting it.
When I read the story I realized that I had no idea what Kerry Wood’s voice sounded like, so I looked for a video interview. Here’s one. For what it’s worth, it sounds like he’d have a good voice for TV or radio.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 19
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness