Jan 13, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Ryan Howard told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that the ankle injury which caused him to miss three weeks last August and sapped his production down the stretch still isn’t 100 percent healed.
More importantly, in doing so he said:
I still get a little bit of stiffness every once in a while. I’ll take it now and see what happens in spring training. I’ll just continue to look after it and take care of it. Those kinds of things linger, like The Cranberries.
He is, of course, referring to the song “Linger” by the Irish band The Cranberries, who were pretty big for a while in the early 1990s. Howard was 14 years old when the song came out, although baseball-playing jocks from Missouri probably weren’t Dolores O’Riordan’s target demographic.
As for the ankle injury, Howard said it’s about 90-95 percent healthy and “a lot better than it was” when he played through it in August and September, hitting just .231 with a modest .786 OPS in 39 games following a disabled list stint.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona