Jan 13, 2011, 1:13 PM EST
Ryan Howard told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that the ankle injury which caused him to miss three weeks last August and sapped his production down the stretch still isn’t 100 percent healed.
More importantly, in doing so he said:
I still get a little bit of stiffness every once in a while. I’ll take it now and see what happens in spring training. I’ll just continue to look after it and take care of it. Those kinds of things linger, like The Cranberries.
He is, of course, referring to the song “Linger” by the Irish band The Cranberries, who were pretty big for a while in the early 1990s. Howard was 14 years old when the song came out, although baseball-playing jocks from Missouri probably weren’t Dolores O’Riordan’s target demographic.
As for the ankle injury, Howard said it’s about 90-95 percent healthy and “a lot better than it was” when he played through it in August and September, hitting just .231 with a modest .786 OPS in 39 games following a disabled list stint.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)