Ryan Howard listens to The Cranberries

Jan 13, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT

the cranberries

Ryan Howard told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that the ankle injury which caused him to miss three weeks last August and sapped his production down the stretch still isn’t 100 percent healed.

More importantly, in doing so he said:

I still get a little bit of stiffness every once in a while. I’ll take it now and see what happens in spring training. I’ll just continue to look after it and take care of it. Those kinds of things linger, like The Cranberries.

He is, of course, referring to the song “Linger” by the Irish band The Cranberries, who were pretty big for a while in the early 1990s. Howard was 14 years old when the song came out, although baseball-playing jocks from Missouri probably weren’t Dolores O’Riordan’s target demographic.

As for the ankle injury, Howard said it’s about 90-95 percent healthy and “a lot better than it was” when he played through it in August and September, hitting just .231 with a modest .786 OPS in 39 games following a disabled list stint.

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Aaron, What was he hitting before the Ankle injury? I’ve been having trouble trying to find that out myself. Just wondering if you could help a brother out.

Yeah Ari, this is to rub your nose in specifically.

• hackerjay - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Baseball-reference.com is your friend:
      Howard pre-DL: 104 games, .292/.356/.528 23 HR, 83 RBI, 107 Ks, 34 BB
      Howard post-DL: 39 games, .231/.345/.441, 8 HR, 27 RBI, 50 Ks, 25 BB

• Jonny 5 - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Thanks Jay, I use BBR but wasn’t aware I could split it by date. I’m going to go play around there now.

• hackerjay - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Just click on “Game Logs [+]” on the player page, and from there you can sum up the stats for different spans of time.

2. BC - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Phillies fans better hope he doesn’t pull a Mo Vaughn. Vaughn hurt his ankle falling down the dugout steps while chasing a popup. Gained all kinds of weight and was pretty useless thereafter (I know because I was treated to watching his uselessness with the Mets).

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

“Zombie” is the shizznaps. Speaking of Irish….

4. Utley's Hair - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Hehhehheh…he still get a little stiffness once in a while…hehhehheh

But then again, Dolores O’Riordan is kinda hot.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I stress “kinda” in that sentence, but agree nonetheless.

• larryhockett - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Is “is’ the proper tense for that assertion? Has anybody seen her in the last 15 years? (I don’t imply that she’s no longer kinda hot, I’m genuinely asking).

• Utley's Hair - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Not AS, but still a bit. Apply the Cookies and Crackers test to the situation, if nothing else.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM

• bleedgreen - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Yup, based on the pics on her website, she’d get it.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I told you pie is better, UH.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM

In this case, maybe whipped cream or chocolate sauce….

5. genericcommenter - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I am the same age and I am certainly familiar with the Cranberries and that song. It doesn’t mean I’m a huge fan- though I’m probably closer to their targeted demographic. I am aware of most things that have happened during and before my time, regardless of my fandom. My best friends and I are amazed when we realize how many people just aren’t aware of anything. It’s the same as I would expect anyone our age to know who Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg are, or Pearl Jam, even if you don’t listen to that music.

Maybe he’s just not “living in Bolivian.”

• Jonny 5 - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM

THE CHRONIC!!!! WOOT!!!!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3481)