Jan 13, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
If I were Bill Simmons, right about now I’d say something like “I wish there was someplace you could bet on things like ‘the date on which Eric Chavez hits the disabled list, the date on which its reported that his career is likely over and the date on which he says he’s coming back in 2012′”:
Free agent Eric Chavez, trying to come back from three injury-riddled seasons in Oakland, held a personal workout for the Toronto Blue Jays recently, a source told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick … Seattle and the Los Angeles Dodgers have both expressed interest in Chavez, who has one offer on the table from an unidentified club, according to a source.
That should probably read “four injury-riddled seasons,” given that he hasn’t played 100 games in a year since 2006.
Oh, and if were Simmons, I’d probably reference my college friends by their silly college nicknames first, look into the mirror and ask myself if anyone still talks about his friends like that past the age of 40 second, and then I’d ask about the Eric Chavez betting thing.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)