Jan 13, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
If I were Bill Simmons, right about now I’d say something like “I wish there was someplace you could bet on things like ‘the date on which Eric Chavez hits the disabled list, the date on which its reported that his career is likely over and the date on which he says he’s coming back in 2012′”:
Free agent Eric Chavez, trying to come back from three injury-riddled seasons in Oakland, held a personal workout for the Toronto Blue Jays recently, a source told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick … Seattle and the Los Angeles Dodgers have both expressed interest in Chavez, who has one offer on the table from an unidentified club, according to a source.
That should probably read “four injury-riddled seasons,” given that he hasn’t played 100 games in a year since 2006.
Oh, and if were Simmons, I’d probably reference my college friends by their silly college nicknames first, look into the mirror and ask myself if anyone still talks about his friends like that past the age of 40 second, and then I’d ask about the Eric Chavez betting thing.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (152)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (80)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)