Stephen Strasburg is in the best shape of his life

Jan 13, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT

Strasburg walks off

Stephen Strasburg‘s recovery from Tommy John surgery is going swimmingly, he says, and what’s more, he told CBS’s Ted Robinson that he’s feeling great:

“I’m definitely in the best shape of my life … Once you start throwing, it’s gonna be a long process just getting your strength back, but I feel great about it and I have a really good feeling that I’m gonna come back at 100 percent. … The surgery’s down to a science, and you’ve just got to do what the doctors tell you.”

Not the usual best-shape-of-his-life story because a lot of us have underwear older than Strasburg, and guys who play the BSoML card are usually older guys fighting physical decline. ┬áBut hey, it’s mid-January and nothing is going on so we’ll certainly take it.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hell, I’ve got condoms older than this guy.

• uyf1950 - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Are they in good shape? Or are they in the BEST shape they have ever been in?

• sportsdrenched - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:34 PM

The monitor almost got sprayed with water. Well Played.

• phukyouk - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I LOL’d

2. randomdigits - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I am pretty sure he was in better shape last year, seeing as how he could, you know, throw the ball 100 mph with a 91 mph change.

3. Panda Claus - Jan 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM

“Best shape of my life” looks like the early leader for overused sports term of 2011. If it holds on it will beat out 2010′s reigning champion phrase: “At the end of the day…”.

4. jbartlett79 - Jan 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the best shape of Stephen’s life involved an intact elbow.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I like pie. If I made a graph of the various “shapes” of my life, it would be in a pie graph form. Pie.

6. Brian - Jan 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

you know, I am literally in the best shape of my life after losing like, 50 pounds, but I don’t get a freakin’ article on the internet about it. WHERE’S MY MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT?!?!?!

Three legends off to Cooperstown