Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
That brings us to free agents Kevin Millwood and Bruce Chen. The Indians have talked to agent Scott Boras about both starters. It’s hard to imagine Chen, 33, signing a minor-league deal after he went 12-7 with Kansas City last year. Millwood, 36, is coming off the worst season of his career, 4-16 with Baltimore with a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts. In 2005, he went 9-11 with the Indians, leading the AL with a 2.86 ERA. He turned that one year into a four-year, $60 million deal with Texas.
Each of those guys would probably help Cleveland, actually, what with how thin that roster is. But with Paul Hoynes speculating that the Indians spent their entire free agent budget on Austin Kearns — all $1.3 million of it — he thinks that the Tribe could only offer Chen or Millwood minor league deals. Millwood might go for it. Chen probably wouldn’t.
Either way, I swear: I will make it a point to report any and all optimistic news about the Indians this year. Because, brother, do their fans need it.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)