Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
That brings us to free agents Kevin Millwood and Bruce Chen. The Indians have talked to agent Scott Boras about both starters. It’s hard to imagine Chen, 33, signing a minor-league deal after he went 12-7 with Kansas City last year. Millwood, 36, is coming off the worst season of his career, 4-16 with Baltimore with a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts. In 2005, he went 9-11 with the Indians, leading the AL with a 2.86 ERA. He turned that one year into a four-year, $60 million deal with Texas.
Each of those guys would probably help Cleveland, actually, what with how thin that roster is. But with Paul Hoynes speculating that the Indians spent their entire free agent budget on Austin Kearns — all $1.3 million of it — he thinks that the Tribe could only offer Chen or Millwood minor league deals. Millwood might go for it. Chen probably wouldn’t.
Either way, I swear: I will make it a point to report any and all optimistic news about the Indians this year. Because, brother, do their fans need it.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)