Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
That brings us to free agents Kevin Millwood and Bruce Chen. The Indians have talked to agent Scott Boras about both starters. It’s hard to imagine Chen, 33, signing a minor-league deal after he went 12-7 with Kansas City last year. Millwood, 36, is coming off the worst season of his career, 4-16 with Baltimore with a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts. In 2005, he went 9-11 with the Indians, leading the AL with a 2.86 ERA. He turned that one year into a four-year, $60 million deal with Texas.
Each of those guys would probably help Cleveland, actually, what with how thin that roster is. But with Paul Hoynes speculating that the Indians spent their entire free agent budget on Austin Kearns — all $1.3 million of it — he thinks that the Tribe could only offer Chen or Millwood minor league deals. Millwood might go for it. Chen probably wouldn’t.
Either way, I swear: I will make it a point to report any and all optimistic news about the Indians this year. Because, brother, do their fans need it.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)