Jan 14, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
The Yankees have been unwavering in their position on Joba Chamberlain: he’s a relief pitcher and he always will be a relief pitcher as long as he plays for the New York Yankees. As Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues notes, however, such a position is a horrible one, and with no less than three guys ahead of him on the bullpen depth chart — maybe four — the Yankees should be pushing Chamberlain into the back end of the rotation:
I’m not asking for a miracle here, just give the guy a chance to start again in Spring Training. There’s basically no downside. If he gets hurt and his days as an effective pitcher come to an end, who cares? All the Yankees would be losing is a seventh inning reliever. If it works, well then geez, you’ve got yourself a young big league starter, something the team could really use right about now. It’s Spring Training, just try it. That’s all I’m asking. Just make an effort, give him the same kind of rope they gave Hughes this past year.
But they won’t, of course. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Mike muses that for all we know it’s possible his attitude is awful or his shoulder is shredded. Which just underscores how badly the Yankees mishandled his development. Maybe he’d have a better attitude if he wasn’t jerked around like has been. Maybe his shoulder was going to go south no matter how carefully they treated him between 2007 and 2010 and, as a result, they’ve managed to get the absolute least bang for their buck from the guy.
Maybe he’s just fine, though, and the Yankees don’t want to admit they mishandled him. That, even if he is no longer a viable major league starting pitcher, it wasn’t the result of being put in a position to succeed and simply failing.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)