Jan 14, 2011, 1:46 AM EDT
Future Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez is keeping quite busy as he decides whether or not to return to play in 2011 (don’t bet on it).
The 39-year-old, who compiled a 219-100 record with a 2.93 ERA in 18 seasons, is launching a new school on Monday in his native Dominican Republic.
It will be called the Pedro Martinez Youth Academy and Baseball Park, and it sounds pretty cool, according to a report from Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald.
With a charter school, health services, arts and music programs, plus recreational facilities including basketball and volleyball courts and a baseball park to be called “Little Fenway,’’ the project will be built on land acquired in and around the former site of the very modest house he grew up in the village of Manoguayabo in the hills outside Santo Domingo.
Martinez said his dream is to develop players to the point where they can play exhibition games against U.S. schools like Boston College or Boston University.
As far as his own playing days go, Martinez didn’t sound like a man eager to return. “I don’t know really,” he told Silverman. “I could probably play if I wanted to, I just haven’t decided yet.”
Sounds like he has a noble cause to focus his time on. I imagine the school will keep him plenty busy, and he can just relax and let the clock tick toward a Cooperstown enshrinement in 2015.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 41
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut