Irony alert: Reggie Jackson tells an athlete to be quiet and humble

Jan 14, 2011, 8:54 AM EDT

Reggie Jackson

I don’t give a pair of fetid dingo’s kidneys about the NFL playoffs and — certain strokes of unadulterated genius aside — don’t care if the Jets beat the Patriots this weekend or vice-versa.  But Mr. October Reggie Jackson does. And he’s had it with the trash-talking of the Jets’ Antonio Cromartie:

Former New York Yankees’ legend Reggie Jackson ripped Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie on Thursday, telling him to, “Shut up and play football.”
The slugger, a guest on ESPN 1050 in New York, didn’t hold back when it came to talking about Cromartie, who called Patriots quarterback Tom Brady an “ass——.”

“What are you talking about? What are you doing? Shut up, play football,” Jackson said. “What are you talking about [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick and these people for? Spend your time looking at film, spend your time knocking down a pass. What are you doing? You’re not affecting Brady; you’re wasting time.”

…“Go look at the hardware, dude. Walk through the lobby up there and look at the stuff that’s there,” Jackson said. “You don’t have that, you don’t have anything close to that.

“You might want to shut up, you might learn something. Read, you might figure something out. Watch film, you might get educated. If not, you have a chance to get embarrassed on Sunday. I hope you don’t, because I like the Jets.”

Stuff Reggie Jackson is credited with saying during his career:

• “After Jackie Robinson the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson, I really mean that.”
  • “I am the best in baseball.”
  • “Fans don’t boo nobodies.”
  • “I didn’t come to New York to be a star, I brought my star with me.”
  • “I’d like to be able to light the fire a little bit.”
  • “The only reason I don’t like playing in the World Series is I can’t watch myself play.”
  • “This team, it all flows from me. I’m the straw that stirs the drink. Maybe I should say me and Munson, but he can only stir it bad.”

Hey, I think that kind of bravado is great fun, and I wouldn’t have Reggie Jackson any other way. But really, he’s the last dude that should be telling anyone to “shut up and play.”

1. JM Lattanzi - Jan 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I just find the whole thing amusing because no one, NO ONE is disputing the contents of Cromartie’s comment. Everyone is taking him to task merely for publicly airing it, and Mr. October is just the latest to pile on.

It is incredibly rich, though, to hear Reggie say it.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Cromartie’s comment wasn’t even creative…at all…not even the tiniest little bit. That’s what I find interesting about it.

• JM Lattanzi - Jan 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM

It certainly wasn’t creative by any stretch of the imagination. I think he needs one of those insult generators you can find on these here interwebz.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM

This series of tubes may just catch on yet…

2. Matt - Jan 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I’ve always wondered…why is “ass” allowed but “hole” censored?

• baseballstars - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM

How dare you say “hole!” You ass.

3. hep3 - Jan 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

With credit to Dan Patrick, what did Reggie do more than every other hitter in the majors?

The Whiiiiifffffff

4. BC - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

This is like Tiger Woods promoting abstinence.

5. RickyB - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

The problem Reggie has with Cromartie’s outbursts is that he is not inciting his own teammates, rather the other team.

6. Detroit Michael - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Those are some great Reggie quotes. Thanks for the post, Craig!

7. ohleee - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Sorry, but Cromartie is the ass—- here. Haven’t you noticed that all of Reggie’s comments were directed to and for himself? Who did he put down to prop himself up? Who was hurt or better yet, infuriated by his remarks?

Even if Jim Lattanzi is right (“NO ONE is disputing the contents of Cromartie’s comment”), how does “publicly airing it” benefit Cromartie or his team? Will it help them play better? Will the Pats be weakened by Cromartie’s vicious verbal assault? Maybe the Pats will just refuse to play now that they’ve found out that Brady is a you-know-what?

I don’t really believe Cromartie and Ryan are ass—-s, just stupid. Really stupid.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM

“Who did he put down to prop himself up? Who was hurt or better yet, infuriated by his remarks?”

Thurman Munson. His team’s captain.

• fribnit - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Sorry Craig, on this one you are a bit off-base. With the exception of the “straw” comment, which was wrong headed, Jackson only bragged on himself. He didn’t insult his competitors. He didn’t trash talk.

8. Dan in Katonah - Jan 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Mike Tyson told them both to stop acting so crazy.

• Old Gator - Jan 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I don’t blame him. I bet they were just chewing his ear off.

9. Utley's Hair - Jan 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Terrell Owens and that Spanglishally challenged guy named Chad want to know why we can’t just all get along.

10. bigharold - Jan 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I listened to that entire rant by Jackson and it stunk of “back in the day we …”.

Frankly Jackson came across a bit of an old codger. Which I found hilarious since he was one of the most self promoting brash players of his day. As was pointed out most of his brashness was bragging self promotion with the notable exception of the slight towards Munson, (which was no minor transgression). And, while it might seem quaint now back in the late 60s early 70s standing at the plate admiring your home runs was considered pretty classless too.

I’d probably not have said what Cromarti said but with all due respect Reggie Jackson should STFU because he was worse “back in the day”.

11. motherscratcher23 - Jan 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Yeah Reggie, listening to you is like meeting the man of your dreams, and then meeting his beautiful wife.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 15, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Good God…please tell me you did NOT just quote Alanis Morrissette…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5120)