Jan 14, 2011, 11:58 AM EST
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is for two years, $8.1 million, pending a physical.
10:58 AM: Did someone mention Rays free agents signing elsewhere? Because we have another: Grant Balfour is close to signing a deal with the Oakland Athletics. That according to Jon Paul Morosi. It’s a multi-year deal. We have no details on the dollars yet, but we’ll update them as soon as they come in.
Balfour went 13-7 with a 2.98 ERA and 207 strikeouts in 181 innings over the past three years as the setup man in Tampa Bay. There was talk earlier this winter of the Orioles being interested in him, but their deal with Kevin Gregg scuttled that.
Balfour is a type-A free agent, so that means that this is just the latest deal that gives the Rays draft picks. Indeed, as Aaron is going to explain in a post later this morning, in that regard this has been an outrageously profitable winter for the Rays.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)