Jan 14, 2011, 11:58 AM EST
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is for two years, $8.1 million, pending a physical.
10:58 AM: Did someone mention Rays free agents signing elsewhere? Because we have another: Grant Balfour is close to signing a deal with the Oakland Athletics. That according to Jon Paul Morosi. It’s a multi-year deal. We have no details on the dollars yet, but we’ll update them as soon as they come in.
Balfour went 13-7 with a 2.98 ERA and 207 strikeouts in 181 innings over the past three years as the setup man in Tampa Bay. There was talk earlier this winter of the Orioles being interested in him, but their deal with Kevin Gregg scuttled that.
Balfour is a type-A free agent, so that means that this is just the latest deal that gives the Rays draft picks. Indeed, as Aaron is going to explain in a post later this morning, in that regard this has been an outrageously profitable winter for the Rays.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (90)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)