Jan 14, 2011, 11:58 AM EST
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that the deal is for two years, $8.1 million, pending a physical.
10:58 AM: Did someone mention Rays free agents signing elsewhere? Because we have another: Grant Balfour is close to signing a deal with the Oakland Athletics. That according to Jon Paul Morosi. It’s a multi-year deal. We have no details on the dollars yet, but we’ll update them as soon as they come in.
Balfour went 13-7 with a 2.98 ERA and 207 strikeouts in 181 innings over the past three years as the setup man in Tampa Bay. There was talk earlier this winter of the Orioles being interested in him, but their deal with Kevin Gregg scuttled that.
Balfour is a type-A free agent, so that means that this is just the latest deal that gives the Rays draft picks. Indeed, as Aaron is going to explain in a post later this morning, in that regard this has been an outrageously profitable winter for the Rays.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)