Jan 14, 2011, 5:04 PM EST
Major League Baseball just made it official: that reality show on Showtime featuring the Giants is a go:
Showtime Networks, Major League Baseball Productions and the 2010 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants are teaming up for a new series chronicling the competitive and complex world of professional baseball. The new series will give viewers a front row seat into the lives of the players, coaches and team personnel as they begin the arduous task of defending their World Series title through the 2011 MLB season.
They’re going to start filming soon, getting guys back at home and following them on their way into and through spring training. There will be a preview episode opening week, but then the show will go on hiatus until the second half of the season when it begins airing regularly.
I presume the lag is to give the producers time to frame things just so, dramatically speaking. Shines will be put on losing streaks. Time will be allowed for contrived “I love you, bro” scenes to explain away clubhouse strife after it happens. And if things go well — which is totally boring — there will be time to create faux drama.
Because there’s only one constant about reality shows, and that’s that they’re not all that real, frankly.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)