Jan 14, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just made it official: that reality show on Showtime featuring the Giants is a go:
Showtime Networks, Major League Baseball Productions and the 2010 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants are teaming up for a new series chronicling the competitive and complex world of professional baseball. The new series will give viewers a front row seat into the lives of the players, coaches and team personnel as they begin the arduous task of defending their World Series title through the 2011 MLB season.
They’re going to start filming soon, getting guys back at home and following them on their way into and through spring training. There will be a preview episode opening week, but then the show will go on hiatus until the second half of the season when it begins airing regularly.
I presume the lag is to give the producers time to frame things just so, dramatically speaking. Shines will be put on losing streaks. Time will be allowed for contrived “I love you, bro” scenes to explain away clubhouse strife after it happens. And if things go well — which is totally boring — there will be time to create faux drama.
Because there’s only one constant about reality shows, and that’s that they’re not all that real, frankly.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (106)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)