Jan 14, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote earlier this week that the Nationals “may be in play” for free agent right-hander Chris Young, but a baseball source told Bill Ladson of MLB.com today that the report was untrue.
This would seem to leave the Mets as the most logical destination, as the two sides have been connected in rumors countless times since the Winter Meetings.
To that end, Mets assistant general manager J.P. Ricciardi told Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York today that Young “could be a nice fit” for the club. Though the Mets have repeatedly denied making an offer, Marchand writes that there is “strong interest” from both sides and that the 6-foot-10 right-hander “figures to sign soon.”
Young, 31, has been limited to just 36 starts over the past three seasons due to a series of injuries, including shoulder surgery in August of 2009. He posted an 0.90 ERA and 15/11 K/BB ratio over four starts down the stretch with the Padres last season, though he averaged just 84.7 mph on his fastball.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights