Jan 15, 2011, 12:36 PM EST
The Cubs just kicked off day two of their annual Cubs Convention by announcing plans to unveil a statue in the likeness of Ron Santo, who passed away in December at the age of 70. The statue will be unveiled as part of “Ron Santo Day” on August 10.
The official release from the team reads in part:
“Ron Santo will always be remembered as an extraordinary player, as the ultimate Cub fan and for his tireless commitment towards juvenile diabetes research,” said Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts. “On behalf of the Cubs organization, we are proud to honor Ron Santo with a statue of his likeness at Wrigley Field so that future generations can remember his remarkable legacy on-and-off the field.”
Santo will join fellow franchise icons Harry Caray, Billy Williams and Ernie Banks with a statue at Wrigley Field.
The club also plans to honor Santo with a special uniform patch that will be worn throughout the 2011 season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)